Carelessness cost me...I got hit...

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay that's enough thread jacking for 1 topic. Let's let the OP have his thread back.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It makes no difference if he was in front of his house or not - the law did not require him to remain in his vehicle. The law also justified his ultimate use of force.

You mean the video showing you going after a thief who poses no imminent threat to people? You think that video will help you?
I think you mean confronting...not "going after"...you are not pro gun or pro self defense as you claim...you are a typical liberal kook.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where I live it takes from 30 to 45 minutes to get a deputy. And that's if they're not on another call and isn't on the other side of the county.
Not everyone lives within a 5 minute response time of any LEO.

I'm not complaining, just saying...living in a rural are has it's perks: quiet, beautiful, etc. however the availability of rapid law enforcement presence or medical attention is not one of them. We have our share of stoners looking for easy pickings. I keep everything locked up but these dickweeds know the response time of LEO as well. What they may NOT know is MY response time...I don't plan to sit in my house while one forces a lock or breaks a window and do nothing...I've worked too hard all my life to have what I have and expect others to respect that.

Everyone has a right to do what they feel they should or can do...I for one plan to protect my family, my property and my possessions. If they're real lucky, they'll note the Vietnam veteran plates on 2 vehicles and won't be so out of it or too stupid to connect a few dots and decide it's in their best interest to move on. :wtf:

Reaction score
I think you mean confronting...not "going after"
Take another look at the post I originally replied to: "if they chase the perp away then I think it's a win for the homeowner," which was itself in response to a post that was very clearly about chasing after ("catching" them and speculation as to who could run faster) them. Regardless I think confronting them is a bad idea too, though not nearly as bad an idea as actually running after the guy if he takes off.

If your argument now is merely related to yelling so they "run away", that can be done without going outside plus doesn't do much WRT your concern of "this is why this keeps happening" (that is more effective at putting an end to vehicle break-ins vs calling police and being a good witness how?). Your suggestion to inform the 911 operator to call EMS before going out to confront them is incredibly terrible advice and would absolutely come back to bite you in court if you did end up using some degree of force.

...you are not pro gun or pro self defense as you claim...you are a typical liberal kook.
I am extremely pro gun and extremely pro self defense, I'm merely recognizing the obvious difference between defense of self versus defense of stuff. As a responsible citizen who carries daily and trains regularly both with weapons and empty handed I have given considerable thought to the question of what I am willing to risk my life for, what I am willing to potentially take a life for etc. and any belongings left in an (unlocked) vehicle do not fall into either of these categories, not by a mile. People who live in the US saying they would run outside most likely a) haven't actually given this much thought and/or b) are ignorant with respect to violence, violent crime, property crime, self defense law, or some combination thereof most likely all. I protect property by keeping things locked (and vehicles garaged), alarms, cameras, habits and lifestyle choices (i.e. don't live a blingy lifestyle or leave valuables in plain sight) etc as well as insurance if all that fails, use of deadly force and willingly entering into confrontation that could very possibly lead to use of force are reserved for defense of people, potentially pets under certain circumstances (though legally speaking they are considered property).

I am not going to continue arguing this, my intention was not to hijack the thread. You certainly have a right to your own choice but IMO your suggested choice here is a poor one and I believe I've effectively made my case.

Last edited:

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The possibility exists that the suspect on the bicycle is armed with a knife, gun, ASP, or could make a weapon out of any object within reach - and the possibility further exists that he actually will jump off the bike and throw down with you without hesitation because he considers himself physically capable (high school wrestler, boxer, badass, or a MMA wannabe) or perhaps he's just in a bad (or drug enhanced) confrontational mood. Who knows what the percentage of possibilities are that a face-to-face with the suspect would result in an extreme outcome? If the homeowner is in a devil may care mood himself... then it's throw down time.

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just an update. The suspect did not show for his interview. This is not the highest priority case they have. I am in contact with the detective about once a week for followup. If I have to shame this guy all over social media, then I will do that. Just waiting on the law to do their job first.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..... If I have to shame this guy all over social media, then I will do that.
Just please be cautious now and keep your eyes and ears open and whatever you have for personal protection close at hand (please... no pepper sprays, bats, tire tools, frying pans, knives or harsh words) 'cause some of these little dickheads are just stupid enough and bold enough to come over and show off in front of their homies or their girl because "...you disrespected" him. Never mind he stole from you, YOU disrespected HIM. What loser cockroach-punks.:angry:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe we can turn this into a thread where we are all debating on whether or not pitbulls are good dogs next...

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was careless with a false sense of security. Bright LED light. Practically next door to a gun shop (don't all the neighbors own a gun?) Never been targeted. But, this jerk got me. This is the full length video from when he first appears to when he took off.

I'm very sorry to see this Choo.

Perhaps consider adding a few Harbor Freight Driveway Alert alarms. By putting them in a box or tube or even tape on part of lens it reduces a majority of false alarms.

Also, triggering all your car alarms often gets attention they fear. *Installing rod iron fencing around cars today to add to the cams, motion sensor led lights, etc etc.. Darn dirt bags are costing me a lot of stress, time and money. Well over 50% of the neighbors have been robbed, assaulted, hand full of murders etc. and when we call the police it is often an hour plus before they arrive.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm very sorry to see this Choo.

Perhaps consider adding a few Harbor Freight Driveway Alert alarms. By putting them in a box or tube or even tape on part of lens it reduces a majority of false alarms.

Also, triggering all your car alarms often gets attention they fear. *Installing rod iron fencing around cars today to add to the cams, motion sensor led lights, etc etc.. Darn dirt bags are costing me a lot of stress, time and money. Well over 50% of the neighbors have been robbed, assaulted, hand full of murders etc. and when we call the police it is often an hour plus before they arrive.
You should always consider yourself, your own first responder. Plan accordingly.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Best for the homeowner to do non-kinetic actions like call police, flash lights at the suspect, yell at the suspect from the protection of his house, wave arms through the window, etc. Anything but putting on shorts, teeshirt and sneakers and physically going out there and throttling the suspect.
It really sucks that if a ballzy perp says fk the cameras and acts there is not much we can do. How about wave an m12 or something from inside. Honestly I would make myself some sort of paint gun (non lethatl force) weapon and try that.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe you need a sling shot or some kind of other propulsion system for some OC grenades.

Always have a firearm as a backup though. Remember like other people have said, you cannot use deadly force to protect property in some states. Ultimately I think you need/want to articulate that you are in fear of the other person using deadly force against you/family.

Not a lawyer here.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Golfer

n3wb
Reaction score
So what ever happened with the case? Inactivated based on lack of evidence?