Cat 5e cable 10MBps instead of 1Gbps

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok my take on the situation, I’ve had a similar experience when I wired up my sons room with a pair of cat5e cables around 20m in length, any device connected to either would blip 1Gb then drop down to 100Mb and what I found was that my HP 8 port switch just couldn’t properly drive the cable and maintain a reliable 1Gb connection so it would drop.

In the end I replaced the switch with a Dell 16 port device which I just happened to have and both pairs now reliably maintain 1Gb.

It’s not clear how you have the devices connected ie direct via a x-over cable or via a switch but hopefully the above might give you something to test?
Thanks, this was the option with the least effort, so I tried it and it worked.
What I did is to connect other Gigabit router to the same network port with which I had a problem.
I've connected the "problematic" cable to the new Gigabit router and the issue was resolved.
The router with which I had problems is Hauwei AX3 Pro 7200.
It is a WIFI6 router with 4 Gigabit ports.
Guessing the router OS, is a bit buggy, since the network port itself works.

Thank you all for all asistance.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This doesnt make sense, you don't need enterprise gear to use longer cable runs. Any cheap consumer switch is perfectly capable of driving any length within the standard, which is 100 meters.

If the problem is solved by switching routers it just means the first router is broken..

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
This doesnt make sense, you don't need enterprise gear to use longer cable runs. Any cheap consumer switch is perfectly capable of driving any length within the standard, which is 100 meters.

If the problem is solved by switching routers it just means the first router is broken..
My mistake the 8 port switch was a 3com. What I found was that the 3com officeconnect switch would do 1Gb speeds for cables around 15m in length, any longer and it would try and sync at a gig but the minute you put data across it it would drop to 100Mb. I had 2 of these so swapped it out and got the same results, even tried swapping out the PSU but that made no difference.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

My story with the router didn't end yet.
As I said before I've connected another router to the Hauwei router, up until now the second router was configured as router (which is not optimal, due to double NAT).
Once I converted the second router to function as switch (disabled DHCP and only used the lan ports).
I've got the same result, can only use 10 Mbsp, even though the network cable is now connected to the second router (not to the misbehaving Hauwei).
I think there is an issue in the link speed negotiation between my computer and the Hauwei router.
Maybe it's time to replace the Hauwei router for good (had it less than one year).

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Try it it with another device like a laptop, have you tried updating the network card drivers on your computer?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I think there is an issue in the link speed negotiation between my computer and the Hauwei router.
What happens if you disconnect the Hauwei router and leave the computer connected to the switch? That should tell you whether it's something related to the router (or not).

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hauwei sounds like it has issues. when it's gone, things are happy. when it comes around, things go to hell. Kill it with a hammer.:smash:
I don't have other options that provide me usable WIFI so will delay this.
I tried restarting both routers and now all looks good (if this won't be stable, will replace the Hauwei with Asus router...)