Cat5 or cat6?

blanch007

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat question but I could not find the answers to these questions with a search ...
1. Whats the difference between cat5 vs cat6 cables as they pertain to connecting my new dahua cameras? Should I get the cat6 because the transmission/quality will be better?
2. Shielded vs non shielded.
3. Best prices on 500 ft with jacks and kit for stripping and putting jacks on.
Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat question but I could not find the answers to these questions with a search ...
1. Whats the difference between cat5 vs cat6 cables as they pertain to connecting my new dahua cameras? Should I get the cat6 because the transmission/quality will be better?
2. Shielded vs non shielded.
3. Best prices on 500 ft with jacks and kit for stripping and putting jacks on.
Thanks!
Hi Blanch007,

Cat5e or Cat6?

There's a few discussions on that here on the forum. Here's a quick summary if you are in the USA ( if you are in the UK you should try another vendor )

"5) recommend getting a 1000ft bulk cat5e/cat6 cable from monoprice ( watch them for sales during weekends, get solid copper ) and the appropriate tools to crimp RJ45 ends to the cables - this will allow you to drill smaller holes during your installation. ( otherwise you will need 3/4"+ holes ) [ DO NOT buy CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire - it is a fire hazard ]"

Either Cat5e or Cat6 will work - Cat6 cable a bit thicker due to a plastic separator - also the wires are often a bit thicker, which is better for voltage carry / power loss. If you have to pull multiple lines through a 1/2" EMT I liked using Cat5e better for that, otherwise I would get a 1000' box of Cat6 and tools from monoprice when they have a discount as you may want to use the cat6 cable for additional lines ( such as to your media center ).

Also for most of us a unshielded version works well enough. Remember to keep the cable away from power sources / power lines / electrical motors / florescent lights and it should be fine. ( maybe 1 foot away is good for most of us - and 2 feet even better - reduces EMF effect by 1/4 of that at 1 foot away )

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Get solid (vs. stranded), and solid copper (not copper clad aluminum) wire. The cat6 conductors are generally a bit larger. Most cat5e uses awg24, and most cat6 uses awg23. The specs for cat5e far exceed the needs of any camera you'll be using today, yet most of us recommend using cat6 unless the larger diameter and/or lower flexibility is a problem. I've used mostly unshielded cat6 from Monoprice, and their "with inserts" connectors. The insert type of connector is much easier to install than the base single-piece connectors. There are also some "EZ" connectors highly praised by many. They're a single-piece version similar to "with insert" connectors, possibly a bit easier to deal with. If it would help your situation, consider getting 250' boxes of different colored wires instead of a larger box of a single color.