Cat5e Fishing Advise

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This worked for me on bullet cams ==>> here.
If cam is a turret or bigger than a bullet, @mat2 gave you some box part numbers in post #2.

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome Dunn. One idea is to use PVC boards to mount your cameras. "Using Home Depot PVC to install outdoor cameras" I also saw a post where someone fastens the cams to flat stock and slips it into the channel where the soffit sits. You can slide the stock around to find the best camera location then secure with a couple screws. Search the site for soffit placement for more ideas.
Thanks for the tip, I've seen the a couple of these setups. I found out that the distance below my soffit to the plywood underneath is only 1 inch. Therefore, I think I may be able to use a longer screw to junction box on the outside of the soffit while still being secured to the plywood underneath.

Good plug in Hammer Drill, not cordless, with a good masonry bit. Buy a spare bit or two. Try to drill in the mortar where possible.
Looking for some advice and direction!
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
AFC Cable Systems 1/2 x 25 ft. Non-Metallic Liquidtight Conduit-6002-22-00 - The Home Depot

You want to know who did it, not just what happened, so don't mount cams higher than 8ft.
Use this to help decide placement and views: IPVM Camera Calculator V3, keep PPF>100

Test all locations for suitability before drilling, make a temp test stand: 2x4, 5gal bucket, rocks or sand. test overnight.

If you think you will use that monitor much, you will wish it was higher off the floor.
Will drill in the mortar, thanks of the tip and I'll see if I can find some of that conduit at the store to see if it'll work beneath that lip in the siding and attach to my PFA121 Dahua Junction Boxes. The Cameras will probably be at least 8 ft at the lowest... Hopefully that won't be a problem. The monitor is actually at about 4 ft tall, so it works great with a stool; modified an old lockable server tower with server drawers, works great.

Hi Dunn,

Looney2ns has some great info there.

Avoid going into the brick and plan any holes through the mortar. I would use bulk cat5e cable and junction boxes / wall mounts to allow me to make smaller holes.
Yup, got the bulk mono price at the house and PFA121s on the way! Hoping I can get a good coat of paint on the junction boxes to match the house. Luckily I still have some left over from when we repainted the house.

This worked for me on bullet cams ==>> here.
If cam is a turret or bigger than a bullet, @mat2 gave you some box part numbers in post #2.
Yep, thanks! Got the PFA121s on the way!

Thanks again for the help guys, planning on finishing the install on the 3rd. I'll update you guys later.

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
Got 6 cameras installed this weekend. It was tough, but it turned out well I think. Added pictures to the end of this link.