Cat5e length question

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to run 3 extra camera at outside locations away from the house. On poles looking over my property at various points of interest. On one of these runs, after walking the shortest route twice and counting in the inside wire length to the NVR, I'm right at 325 feet. My question is this, if I miscalculated slightly and needed say, 5-10 more feet of cable, will my connection/power strength still be sufficient for one camera? is 328 ft or 100m a rock-solid-hard cut off for maximum length? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Dunn

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to run 3 extra camera at outside locations away from the house. On poles looking over my property at various points of interest. On one of these runs, after walking the shortest route twice and counting in the inside wire length to the NVR, I'm right at 325 feet. My question is this, if I miscalculated slightly and needed say, 5-10 more feet of cable, will my connection/power strength still be sufficient for one camera? is 328 ft or 100m a rock-solid-hard cut off for maximum length? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Dunn
Hi Dunn,

A lot depends on the quality of the cable, the quality of the connections, the quality of the install, and the quality of the cameras.

I am guessing given a good cable and install there is a high chance of success for distances just beyond the spec'ed limit of 100M.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There should not be any problem with a few extra feet. Operating Ethernet is sure to operate at 100 meters. There is no magic fall off point. I have some operating at 110 meters.

Last edited:

SirVenom

n3wb
Reaction score
It should be alright. 100m is just a reference as part of the standard. Just use good cable. The Chinese cables off ebay would definitely not work, even under 100m.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So since you have chosen shielded cable, make sure you ground it at least at one end. Can be a pain but necessary with stp cable.
I don't have experience with surge protectors but have to wonder if that would add to the apparent length of the cable and therefore performance on a run which may be at maximums.
Perhaps others with experience can advise.
Let us know how it turns out. Sounds like it will be fine!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, this is the cable I have shipping in the mail. Planning on getting some good conduit and surge/lightning protectors for these 4 long, outdoor runs.
Seems to be really good cable for your purpose; my only comment would be (now that it's on it's way to you) is that CAT-6 of a slightly larger gauge (usually 23) would afford more conductor, allowing more current for POE to the device at a given distance or a greater distance for a given current before voltage drop to the device becomes a factor.

On the positive side, chances are if you are not right at any voltage / current limits with the device connected at 100 meters /328 feet on CAT-5e of 24 gauge, then 5 or 10 more feet should not affect performance.

Unless you live in a no-lightning zone (not sure where that would be), I'd be very open to @NoloC 's suggestion about lightning suppression on 1 end of each cable. I suggest you mount them at end before the cables enter the house, each suppressor clamped to one central 6 foot copper-clad steel ground rod and each with a short (less that18") heavy gauge copper conductor. All 4 suppressors can be tied to the same ground rod, same clamp. Do NOT tie the suppressor's grounding point or the cable's shield to any grounding conductor, equipment or water pipe, etc. that belongs to the building...tie ONLY to a new driven ground rod, dedicated to those 4 new cables.

I have used both of these with good results: the Ubiquiti ETH-SP and L-Com AL-CAT6AJW . Either can be mounted outdoors, on side of building.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.