Cat5e or Cat6 for IP Camera

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do not use flat cable...the wire is thinner..
running your own cable allows smaller holes to be drilled .
What issues could you see from using a flat cat6 cable?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Outdoors I use Ubiquiti TOUGHCable Pro, CAT-5e, shielded along with their TOUGHCable Shielded RJ-45 connectors. It has UV protection for outdoor use. As @bp2008 mentioned, when the Ethernet cable is outdoors, Ubiquiti requires the use of shielded cable, properly terminated shielded RJ-45 connectors and a grounded POE injector as a condition of their warranty.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Outdoors I use Ubiquiti TOUGHCable Pro, CAT-5e, shielded along with their TOUGHCable Shielded RJ-45 connectors. It has UV protection for outdoor use. As @bp2008 mentioned, when the Ethernet cable is outdoors, Ubiquiti requires the use of shielded cable, properly terminated shielded RJ-45 connectors and a grounded POE injector as a condition of their warranty.
It won't work.
Good info, I am going with monoprice as it won't be for outdoor use but they don't seem to have white cate 6e

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Opt for 23awg over the skinnier 26awg.
Shielded is harder to terminate to the RJ45.
Lastly, shielded cable is rarely needed in residential installations
Personally, I have had no more trouble with terminating shielded than unshielded, however CAT-6 has been more challenging to these 68 year old fingers.
IMHO, residential installations is where shielded Ethernet cable could provide the most benefit, as the Ethernet cable is more likely to be in an attic strung alongside house wiring carrying alternating current which is not in metallic conduit, allowing more exposure to EMI. The majority of commercial installations will most likely have AC wiring inside metallic conduit such as EMT or rigid metallic. And lastly, when the Ethernet cable is outdoors, Ubiquiti requires the use of shielded cable, properly terminated shielded RJ-45 connectors and a grounded POE injector as a condition of their warranty.

Last edited: