CAT6 Cable... to shield, or not to shield, that is the question

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So this is for my two story house, looking at about 7 cameras in total as follows:

(4) 2231RP-ZS
(1) 5231R-ZE
(1) 5231E-Z12 (LPR)
(1) 2MP Starlight PTZ (model yet TBD)

I live in a residential neighborhood with the average lot size about 10,000 sq ft, so the houses are not right on top of eachother. There are no cell towers, or anything near us that I can see. House was built in 2001. Not sure what factors come into play when choosing shielded or not. The LPR will be mounted maybe 50 feet from the house and need the CAT6 cable ran underground, not sure if that matters. Also would you run the CAT6 in conduit or just use cable rated for direct burial, or both?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So this is for my two story house, looking at about 7 cameras in total as follows:

(4) 2231RP-ZS
(1) 5231R-ZE
(1) 5231E-Z12 (LPR)
(1) 2MP Starlight PTZ (model yet TBD)

I live in a residential neighborhood with the average lot size about 10,000 sq ft, so the houses are not right on top of eachother. There are no cell towers, or anything near us that I can see. House was built in 2001. Not sure what factors come into play when choosing shielded or not. The LPR will be mounted maybe 50 feet from the house and need the CAT6 cable ran underground, not sure if that matters. Also would you run the CAT6 in conduit or just use cable rated for direct burial, or both?
Hi @Slp82

When running cat5e/6 underground you'll want burial rated cable. ( water is always an issue underground ). Feel free to search the forum for references.

Running that cable in conduit would be wise. The conduit helps protect it vs gardeners and random shovels as well as ground rodents who like buried chewables.

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @Slp82

When running cat5e/6 underground you'll want burial rated cable. ( water is always an issue underground ). Feel free to search the forum for references.

Running that cable in conduit would be wise. The conduit helps protect it vs gardeners and random shovels as well as ground rodents who like buried chewables.
What about shielded vs unshielded?

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Burial rated, in conduit.
Your in Texas, you get nasty lightening, shielded "may" minimize the risk of induced surges from close strikes.
So just to clarify, would you run the burial rated through the attic area as well? We do get a lot of humidity (90% or higher) in the attic.

PAGOT2A

n3wb
Reaction score
Not necessary to run buried cable in the attic, and a waste of buried cable.

Edit: Shielded cable is used near motors, compressors, a/c wiring.

Last edited:

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not necessary to run buried cable in the attic, and a waste of buried cable.

Edit: Shielded cable is used near motors, compressors, a/c wiring.
I was just asking because it seems about the same price to buy some burial rated cat6, and some regular cat6, versus just buying a big roll of burial cat6.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got someone digging trenches to lay conduit for cable runs today. Should I insist on burial rated vs gel filled inside of conduit?

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got someone digging trenches to lay conduit for cable runs today. Should I insist on burial rated vs gel filled inside of conduit?
I actually asked my buddy who is a master electrician (didn't think to ask him before), and he said burial rated inside conduit.

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Actually, looking at this video, it looks like you could use a gel filled CAT cable that is rated for direct burial, but I would just put it in conduit to protect it from a gardener, cable company, electric company or even yourself years from now when you can't remember exactly where you buried it. But the gel filled just offers an additional layer of waterproofing. I would use both gel filled and conduit. Watch this video:

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also maybe I should have added this in there, but my buddy who is the master electrician did say that even if you seal up conduit, he said it always ends up with water in it years later. So thats why they always recommend something that is burial rated. He said the conduit should basically just be thought of as a shield to protect the wire from people digging later and to more easily replace the wire in the future if it were to need to be replaced for some reason. He said they tie off the new wire to the end of the old wire, and pull the new wire through the conduit while removing the old, which saves you a lot of money in labor. Hope that helps your decision.