Catalytic converter theft in 20 seconds

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Catalytic converter theft in 20 seconds in Southern California. Catalytic converter theft is becoming popular here in Riverside CA. Retards running the state have made it so that criminals don't get prosecuted for this crap. This is the neighbor's car getting ripped off, he didn't have time to make it downstairs to confront them before they were gone. Any recommendations on how I can protect my RV from this damage? My long-term fix is to move to a state that isn't imploding.

View attachment Catalytic converter theft in 20 seconds.mp4

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So they sell it as scrap?

You need to activate an via motion detection an outdoor speaker with an automated recording announce that police are on the way . As you can see, the motion activated light didn't do crap.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So they sell it as scrap?

You need to activate an via motion detection an outdoor speaker with an automated recording announce that police are on the way . As you can see, the motion activated light didn't do crap.
I think I need something under the RV. The RV has solar and enough power to run 40 watts 24/7.
FrontMid102 2020-11-21 07.33.47.377 AM.jpgFrontMid102 2020-11-20 09.36.10.59 PM.jpgFrontRIght103 2020-11-20 09.36.10.498 PM.jpg

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess another instance where motion activated lights help the thieves see what they are doing. Good clear video with ext lighting, poor IR night response. That was a quick grab. They must have done this before. I have to agree with you on your open liberal state that promotes thieves. It is only going to get worse.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean from start to finish it was under 30 seconds. I'm not sure there is a ton you can do to prevent it other than to get them to think you are watching them by announcing you have called the police.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean from start to finish it was under 30 seconds. I'm not sure there is a ton you can do to prevent it other than to get them to think you are watching them by announcing you have called the police.
Barbwire, razor blades something on the catalytic converter and the bottom of the gas tank?. Forgot to mention they're drilling holes in gas tanks to drain them..

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Barbwire, razor blades something on the catalytic converter and the bottom of the gas tank?. Forgot to mention they're drilling holes in gas tanks to drain them..
They have gloves and reciprocating saws which will cut through that like butter. I'm not sure how much room you actually would have under the frame to wrap wire around various parts and not ever get hung on the ground when you drive as well.

Did they also drain the tank in that capture?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Here in the UK certain models from Toyota abs Honda are being targeted but here they do it in broad daylight with cars parked by the sidewalk/pavement. Again it takes them under a minute, they jack the car up from the side cut it off abs away they go. Whilst the cutting is going on they have lookouts brandishing metal rods/crowbars to warn off anybody who might intervene.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They have gloves and reciprocating saws which will cut through that like butter. I'm not sure how much room you actually would have under the frame to wrap wire around various parts and not ever get hung on the ground when you drive as well.

Did they also drain the tank in that capture?
no, gas.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would look into mounting a skid plate over the cat, but leave room for air flow as the cats do get hot.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I would look into mounting a skid plate over the cat, but leave room for air flow as the cats do get hot.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Again in the UK they have things called catloc which from what I’ve seen is high tensile wire which is cris-crossed over the cat, won’t prevent a determined thief but lengthens the time taken to steal it.

The police here do nothing as in most cases even if they have the plate number the car is in false plates. The police should really go after the people that buy the cats to ensure that the thief seller is turned away but at the mo back street scrap dealers must be buying as the theft are just as numerous.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Catalytic converter theft in 20 seconds in Southern California. Catalytic converter theft is becoming popular here in Riverside CA. Retards running the state have made it so that criminals don't get prosecuted for this crap. This is the neighbor's car getting ripped off, he didn't have time to make it downstairs to confront them before they were gone. Any recommendations on how I can protect my RV from this damage? My long-term fix is to move to a state that isn't imploding.

View attachment 75430

wow...

quick ideas to counter:

Gate, Garage, Dogs, more cameras to capture the images of the car the thieves are using, face level cameras by the gate, alarm on the gate,...