Catalytic converter theft in 20 seconds

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whilst the cutting is going on they have lookouts brandishing metal rods/crowbars to warn off anybody who might intervene.
Oh, I'd love them to bring a crowbar, knife, etc. to a gun fight.
That's good that they have weapons. Here that would justify deadly force.
Yes, brother....see above
My long-term fix is to move to a state that isn't imploding.
I lived in Silicon Valley '74 to '04. While there Pacific Bell (or whatever the name-of-the-month is these days) and PG&E lobbied state to pass laws wherein the scrap yards got photo ID and license plate number of vehicle bringing in ANY scrap wire, aluminum, copper, etc. Failure to do so could result in criminal charges being filed on the scrapyard manager/owner. It helped a lot...dry up the demand or market and the scrap thieves move on to something else. Legislators need to put ALL precious metals (like platinum) into that category of requirements and mandated procedures by the scrapyards.

But then again, you can pass all the laws you want but it has little bite when the judges let 'em go without so much as a reprimand. A law is only as effective as its enforcement and prosecution. I feel bad for the cops that bust their butts and put themselves into danger hauling them in only to see these humps out on the street the next day or sooner.

I detest thieves. :mad:

Last edited:

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will design a hydraulic suspension with 2 modes selection:

1. Non-Lethai- Pressing a button (NL), will lower the vehicle to ground level

2. Lethal- Pressing a button (L), will activate an infrared motion sensor underneath the vehicle chassis. If someone cross the ir curtain underneath the chassis, a sudden drop will trap the thief. An auto-dialer will call the police with a prerecorded message

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will design a hydraulic suspension with 2 modes selection:

1. Non-Lethai- Pressing a button (NL), will lower the vehicle to ground level

2. Lethal- Pressing a button (L), will activate an infrared motion sensor underneath the vehicle chassis. If someone cross the ir curtain underneath the chassis, a sudden drop will trap the thief. An auto-dialer will call the police with a prerecorded message
Lol. What brand and model cam are you going to use to capture all of this?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Catalytic thieves in our area target certain vehicles/models more than others it was reported. Likely they get real good at a few certain models b/c they know where it is, ect... after a few thefts.

One low tech deterrent would be to have a couple ruts/shallow trenches that the wheels drive in so the vehicle chassis is lowered closer to the ground so they can't slide underneath and gain easy access. Take away 6 - 12 inches of clearance to the ground and it would be real hard to cut it out and steal it. Obviously harder to do that with pavement/concrete already in place - but for this gravel spot, easy.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
PG&E lobbied state to pass laws wherein in scrap yards got photo ID and license plate number of vehicle bringing in ANY scrap wire, aluminum, copper, etc. Failure to do so could result in criminal charges being filed on the scrapyard manager/owner. It helped a lot...dry up the demand or market and the scrap thieves move on to something else. Legislators need to put ALL precious metals (like platinum) into that category of requirements and mandated procedures by the scrapyards.
That's exactly what's happened in the UK. All scrap dealers are licensed and anyone selling scrap of any sort to a dealer has to produce a an official photo ID ie photogrpahic driving licence, passport etc, and the dealer has to record the exact details of the sale and the name and address of the person selling the scrap along with a photocopy of the offical ID confirming their identity so if the police have any enquiries into metal theft, they can find out what was sold where and by whom.

Probably the best idea is a gate and fierce dog. Behind that all I could think of is shielding the cat in some way with metal that's uncuttable, such as Kryptonite. However, they'd probably just cut away more of the pipe, nevermind the expense might exceed the value of the cat.

Maybe a loud siren or "initiating armed response" announcement and flashing blue strobe as discussed elsewhere might be effective in deterring them if triggered the a second or two after the lights come on.

One thing that impressed me about your negihbours cam is there was little to no response lag between swicthing from dark ambient to bright flood lit.

Last edited:

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just an idea to be develop. My previous proposal was more like a joke, even trying the implementation will cost more than the cat. But if the space underneath the vehicle allows, Instead of using a PIR, better install a point-to-point IR beam (tx/rx), below the cat level, triggering a couple of annoying rapid flashing strobe light + chirping high-pitch loud sound. The thief will became blind with the rapid changing light

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean from start to finish it was under 30 seconds. I'm not sure there is a ton you can do to prevent it other than to get them to think you are watching them by announcing you have called the police.
True but with them in/out within 30 seconds, they're pretty sure the police are more than 30seconds away. I agree with you that there's not much one can do other than park in a secured area.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Barbwire, razor blades something on the catalytic converter and the bottom of the gas tank?. Forgot to mention they're drilling holes in gas tanks to drain them..
I love this idea but I seem to remember a case in NC where a business owner put in an electrified fence well inside the secured area to stop burglars. I think they successfully sued the property owner on the grounds that it wasn't done preventively but with malice.

I could be wrong and misremembering but I would wonder if you did that and someone got seriously hurt then it would be a court battle. Just an idea.

I know this is armchair attorney style but I googled it. I'm not saying this is all true or not. Just something to consider consulting a real resource before doing it:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And then we have these against homeowners...

I couldn't find the article, but I also once read of a homeowner being fed up that people were stealing from his gas tanks, so he filled one with water and the robber sued for ruining his vehicle when he used the stolen gas.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And then we have these against homeowners...

I couldn't find the article, but I also once read of a homeowner being fed up that people were stealing from his gas tanks, so he filled one with water and the robber sued for ruining his vehicle when he used the stolen gas.
The lesson? If you shoot one that's armed and breaking into your house just make sure they're dead then drag 'em into the house before you call 9-1-1. :headbang:

Crows

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The lesson? If you shoot one that's armed and breaking into your house just make sure they're dead then drag 'em into the house before you call 9-1-1. :headbang:
Sorry for the off topic ----
I came across this old 1868 Brass plaque at an auction some years ago and had to buy it , … just love the part " SHALL BE SHOT ON FIRST SIGHT AND IF PRACTICABLE QUESTIONED AFTERWARDS " . it cracks me up every time I read it , dead men tell no tales !! They must of been brutal times , they need to bring back laws like that .

brass1.jpg