Catch-22 movie .. interesting comment

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@robertguttman1487
1 year ago (edited)
My father, who was a Navy Combat Cameraman attached temporarily to the Army, wandered into an Army field hospital on Okinawa during July of 1945 after being wounded by a piece of shrapnel. After he was treated one of the doctors asked him how long he had been overseas and he answered, "Two and a half years". Then the doctor asked him the proverbial $64,000 question: "Do you want to go home?" If he had answered "yes", that would have been a rational answer and he would have been sent back into the line. If he had answered, "no, I want to stay and finish the war", that would have been a rational answer and he would have been sent back into the line. However, what he actually answered was, "I don't care one way or the other". So, the doctors decided that he had been out there too long and was suffering from "Combat Fatigue", and they shipped him back to the States. That is a true story. It's too bad Joseph Heller never thought of it. Incidentally, my father read "Catch 22" when it was first published and he loved it.

1694387335624.png