CCTV cameras disconnecting after a couple of days

harryIT

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys

recently I put our CCTV NVR, 16 cameras and POE switch on a VLAN.

since then after 1-2 days they go into a disconnected state.

in order to fix this I have to reboot the switch.

does anyknow why this is happening.

After checking the NVR logs it just says it disconnected which doesn’t help

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Guys

recently I put our CCTV NVR, 16 cameras and POE switch on a VLAN.

since then after 1-2 days they go into a disconnected state.

in order to fix this I have to reboot the switch.

does anyknow why this is happening.

After checking the NVR logs it just says it disconnected which doesn’t help
When you say its disconnecting what does that mean?? No power, no video feed, can't ping the end device???

harryIT

n3wb
Reaction score
The NVR said failed to find network host
Unable to ping the device/cameras

NVR is still pingable
When you say its disconnecting what does that mean?? No power, no video feed, can't ping the end device???

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Take one of the cameras out of the VLAN and report back how it behaves vs the others still on a VLAN. Go into the managed switch and review the logs too.

Ideally your post should have called out the make and model of all hardware in the network.

harryIT

n3wb
Reaction score
Take one of the cameras out of the VLAN and report back how it behaves vs the others still on a VLAN. Go into the managed switch and review the logs too.

Ideally your post should have called out the make and model of all hardware in the network.
I agree

POE DAHUA Switch - Dahua PFS4218-16ET-240
Dahua NVR- DHI-NVR5432-16P-4KS2E
Mixture of cam models
DH-IPC-HFW5442EP-ZE
IPC-HDBW3541E-AS
DH-IPC-HFW5442EP-ZE
IPC-HFW5442E-ZE
DH-IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2
DH-IPC-EBW8842-AS

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree

POE DAHUA Switch - Dahua PFS4218-16ET-240
Dahua NVR- DHI-NVR5432-16P-4KS2E
Mixture of cam models
DH-IPC-HFW5442EP-ZE
IPC-HDBW3541E-AS
DH-IPC-HFW5442EP-ZE
IPC-HFW5442E-ZE
DH-IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2
DH-IPC-EBW8842-AS
I'd add this would be a good time to confirm all the basic's are in place and not the culprit. Power down everything and insure all power cords are inserted all the way into their respective outlets. Unplug the ethernet cable for everything and reinsert and confirm they Click.

Every cable should have a gentle slop with proper wire management supporting the cables - No bends / hard twists

Verify any Static IP address's haven't been accidently used elsewhere on the network. Any DHCP Reservation should be confirmed and validated to be assigned correctly to the end devices. Review any firewall logs / rules to ensure there isn't some kind of conflict. Many IDS / IPS rules are created to remain or expire after X hours or days.

If there is a pattern (frequency) of the fault record the times and dates and try to compare them to what is happening in the environment.

When there is any doubt about the network infrastructure (cable) always have it tested from basic wiring connectivity to insulation testing (Megging) to rule out a short.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not much of a gambler nut if you held a gun to my head my money is on the managed switch or the cable that connects the managed switch and the POE switch for the cams. :cool:

harryIT

n3wb
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that this issue started after you did the VLAN. It worked just fine before you made the VLAN?
Correct, before the VLAN the cams never went offline.

I added them to a VLAN so other parts of the network could access them and to allow them to route out to the internet.
Before its was a local network with no internet and had no issues.