CCTV Newbie looking for some advice

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience buying from aliexpress and the item works for while e.g. 6 months and becomes faulty ? Is there a warranty on dahua cameras ? Is it international so I can take it to a local vendor for a swap out or is it simply a case of sucking it up and buying another.
There could be, but really depends on vendors if they are willing to honor the "warranty". The problem is the cost of shipping the defective item back to China, it's very expensive and if the cam is under $100 it may not be worth the hassle. I had good experience with Huisun cam which I shipped for repair when it was bricked event though I did didn't buy from that vendor.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience buying from aliexpress and the item works for while e.g. 6 months and becomes faulty ? Is there a warranty on dahua cameras ? Is it international so I can take it to a local vendor for a swap out or is it simply a case of sucking it up and buying another.
There is never a warranty from ali...the cost of return shipping will come close to the cameras cost...thats assuming the vendor is still in business. You will not get a warranty with dahua cameras unless you buy from an authorized dealer.

traymay21

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. This is very helpful. Trying to set up one for my new home.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess this statement says it all http://www.dahuasecurity.com/news/statement-on-purchasing-dahua-technology-products--66.html

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
That is 2012. I know for a fact that you can get Dahua locally (well local Europe) with Dahua brand on it and warranty/support from Dahua. AFAIK, Dahua in the USA is sold branded OEM only. Nelly's sell dahua under another brand name but it's Dahua.

Aliexpress, you have a limited guarantee from when it arrives. Basically if you buy from Ali then expect zero support or warranty and you won't be disappointed. This is the risk of Ali. I've had lots of good and a few bad but I knew the risks involved and was happy.

bob2611

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered my camera today from the following guys today

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Dahua-4MP-HD-WDR-Network-LXIR-Bullet-Camera-DH-IPC-HFW4421D-CCTV-IP-1080P-HD/32521891329.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.52.z4k8uH

I setup an account with a UK Dahua dealer. The cost was twice as much for similar cameras. I have bought one to see how I get on. If the experience is bad, then I'll go back to the UK distro for the rest.

Was not sure about the camera lens so I went for 3.6mm. Hoping I get enough clarity with it. Hoping it all works on the QNAP. Little stressed it won't.

Ordered the following POE switch. It was only £5 more than the unmanaged switch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BFQ8HWU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=HA32J3ZN3083&coliid=I1TEINFKTRRRI2&psc=1

I did have a question about through. To get the switch to talk to my QNAP, I need to run the two using a powerline adapter. How much throughput do you think 2 IP cams will put through the network ?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I setup an account with a UK Dahua dealer. The cost was twice as much for similar cameras. I have bought one to see how I get on. If the experience is bad, then I'll go back to the UK distro for the rest.
It will be, they have to pay for postage, VAT, import duty and provide you with warranty and service should the device break. So their profit on that is quite small.

bob2611

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a very fair comment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk