Ceiling LED Lighting causing banding to Hikvision IP 2MP Cam

gwilly

n3wb
Reaction score
Present job in Doctor's office, all cams installed and working fine with fluorescent lighing. Added final cam in lobby which has Recessed LED can lights with 110v Lutron Diva Dimmer and it puts bands on camera image which I haven't experienced before luckily since most installs are outdoor. Rebranded Hikvision DS-2CD2122F-I(W)(S) either 4mm or 2.8mm exhibit symptoms with lights on, lights switch off they go away.

Tried many different things through camera GUI, shutter, WDR with no avail. Curious, maybe a different model could work--Turret? Maybe pull out the dimmer and put in a on/off switch to test if this will stop it, doubt the doctor would like this since they probably want
dimming. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Image attached snapped off my laptop:

IMG_1357.JPG

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
So the bright "bands" are from light coming in the door and window? Based on the shadows cast from tool bag and hand tools.
The "bands" you're referring to are the faint bands, horizontal across the image?
If so, I suspect the dimmer.
LEDs are very fast in turning on and off. A fluorescent and incandescent are slower. As the camera imager is scanned, row by row, the LED is cycling on and off.
Does banding change as you dim the LED?
The dimmer "chops" the AC wave, increasing the "off" time.

Waveform of the output voltage of a thyristor dimmer set for 60 volts RMS output, from Dimmer | Wikiwand

For dimmer applications, the dimmer switch must be LED capable. And the LED bulb must be dimmer capable. Not all are.

Switch out the dimmer switch. If banding disapears, check the dimmer and LED for compatabillity.

If banding remains, it might be PAL vs NTSC recording problem. 50hz vs 60hz.
Or you're scanning at 25fps, but LED is turning on/off at 60hz.
Check this explanation:
Avoid Video Flicker, Understanding PAL (50Hz) & NTSC (60Hz)

gwilly

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate the response:), will switch dimmer to regular switch to see if it makes a difference. I will also note if bands are there before direct sunlight hits the lobby in late afternoon.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate the response:), will switch dimmer to regular switch to see if it makes a difference. I will also note if bands are there before direct sunlight hits the lobby in late afternoon.
did you try adjusting to 60hz vs 50? or vice versa depending on where you are located?

gwilly

n3wb
Reaction score
did you try adjusting to 60hz vs 50? or vice versa depending on where you are located?
Tried both 50 and 60hz with worse being 50hz. Put cam at 25fps and did some checking over the last few days and determined that a certain time of day with sun coming in tinted doors exacerbates the issue. Not too worried since they aren't open when the issue is most pronounced.

IMG_1410.JPG IMG_1412.JPG IMG_1411.JPG