Centralized recording of remote video for local scrubbing

Deepblue

n3wb
Reaction score
My neighborhood has 4 Hikvision NVR’s locally recording cameras at four different street locations. Each location has 3to 4 cameras mounted on a pole and directly connected to an NVR at the base of the pole. Each location is connected to a Comcast modem for internet access. Viewing the live streams works fine but viewing recorded material is slow and scrubbing through time remotely is impossible. I’d like to create a centralized server setup where I can backup each local NVR and use those backups to locally scrub through video at the central location. What the requirements, considerations or alternatives for doing this?

Deepblue

n3wb
Reaction score
I do have a Unifi network at my central site but I do not have line of sight to the street poles where the cameras and NVR's are located. I may be able to get a condo across the street from the neighborhood to agree to mounting a Nanostation on their building. Looks like the max bandwidth on a Nano is 300MBS. Is there a formula for calculating how much bandwidth is required for each camera?

bigjoe99

n3wb
Reaction score
Back the NVR's up to the cloud since they are already connected via broadband and cut your losses (provided the NVR's have the capability to do this). This is how all the gated community security firms do it in my area. Backblaze and the like provide pretty cheap and reliable online storage. If this were a corporate problem I would be spinning up a security server on Azure or AWS and ditching on-prem altogether, but that can get pricey.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do have a Unifi network at my central site but I do not have line of sight to the street poles where the cameras and NVR's are located. I may be able to get a condo across the street from the neighborhood to agree to mounting a Nanostation on their building. Looks like the max bandwidth on a Nano is 300MBS. Is there a formula for calculating how much bandwidth is required for each camera?
Such calculus would require someone with sighnificant more technological bent (and much less lazy) than I brother.

However, my outdoor "Gazebo LAN" is pushing the following outdoor cameras across two (2) Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M5's with Z*E*R*O problemas...
  1. Dahua IPC-HDW4231EMP-ASE > 2MP > 10FPS > 4,096 bitrate
  2. Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z (#1) > 2MP > 25FPS > 6,144 bitrate
  3. Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z (#2) > 2MP > 10FPS > 4,096 bitrate
  4. Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS (#1) > 2MP > 10FPS > 4,096 bitrate
  5. Longse LRDC60S500 > 5MP > 10FPS > 4,096 bitrate
  6. IPC-HDBW4231F-AS (#2) > 2MP > 15FPS > 4,096 bitrate
  7. Longse LRDC60S500 > 5MP > 10FPS > 4,096 bitrate
No issues with the throughput generated by these devices.

thumbsup.gif

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let me qualify my last post by adding that the distance between my two Nanostations is a meager 100-feet.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My neighborhood has 4 Hikvision NVR’s locally recording cameras at four different street locations. Each location has 3to 4 cameras mounted on a pole and directly connected to an NVR at the base of the pole. Each location is connected to a Comcast modem for internet access. Viewing the live streams works fine but viewing recorded material is slow and scrubbing through time remotely is impossible. I’d like to create a centralized server setup where I can backup each local NVR and use those backups to locally scrub through video at the central location. What the requirements, considerations or alternatives for doing this?
I have a similar situation, with two locations in our little 1500' cul-de-sac neighborhood. One pole with 3 cams at the entrance and another at the cul-de-sac with 3 cameras. Right now I'm recording to a 4208 NVR in a box at both locations with a 10MB upload and 100MB download connection from Spectrum.

I'm relatively happy with the setup and use SmartPSS to manage recordings and download video as needed. Storing about 25-30 days worth of footage with 2X 4TB hard drives in each. I do have occasional times when the upload speed crawls making playback frustrating. Its a simple matter of available upload bandwidth on the cable connection.

Prior to this setup we used a cloud service - EagleEye Networks who are the clear leader in video cloud storage, but cancelled mostly due to poor service by the local integrator. I would highly recommend you check them out. They install a simple bridge at each location, which backfeeds the stream to the cloud, and have a great web/mobile interface to manage recordings/playback