CES 2019 - Plethora of new Video Doorbells

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by CCTVCam, Jan 7, 2019.

Share This Page

1. CCTVCam

CCTVCam Pulling my weight

Plethora of new video door bells & home cctv cameras announced / shown at CES 2019:

The smart home security cameras of CES 2019

Click arrows on pictures to scroll through the list

newfoundlandplucky likes this.
  2. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

unfortunately all useless proprietary and lots of battery power crap. More of the same....

3. Camit

Camit Pulling my weight

Oh god what junk, I guess people don’t want the set it and forget it method anymore. I wish these companies would just use poe or at least have the option, they charge enough money on average150 - 200 plus.

4. pal251

pal251 Getting the hang of it

I'd rather just have a poe enabled camera that doesn't require cloud storage. If it has the option thats great but doesn't require it in my book

5. pal251

But this is what the main stream user wants though is cloud....

6. dark current

dark current Getting the hang of it

That may be true, but it's surprising that there doesn't appear to be a product that sits between low end consumer and expensive commercial access control solutions.

A PoE intercom designed to tie in with a VMS or NVRs ought to sell well to many consumers that have chosen to move beyond the low end, but don't want a $1000 solution - IPCT members, for example. Leave the camera off the device, and make it full duplex over Android and iOS, with the ability to display a user defined video feed.

The real problem may be that many of the current crop are intentionally designed to be revenue streams via cloud storage. The allure of the neverending subscription is strong.

Q™ and mat200 like this.
  7. pal251

Dark current, exactly hikvision and dahua tried but their cameras seem to be too buggy and I don't want to depend on wireless

8. dark current

dark current Getting the hang of it

Maybe they'll take a lesson from those products and give us what we want with the next versions. You'd think that making an audio device would be simpler than an A/V product.

Make it possible to power it by PoE or 12VDC via a doorbell transformer, and give it WiFi for the transformer folks. I'd prefer it wasn't bundled with an interior screen to avoid some proprietary crap; give it a Win/iOS/Android/Linux interface that can run on any tablet.

What's sad is that the capabilities to do what's required are included in an old smartphone that isn't worth much today.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 12:12 AM
  9. newfoundlandplucky

newfoundlandplucky n3wb

My hopes were raised for a couple of minutes. Back to being disappointed.

looney2ns likes this.