Change camera password.

dahuauser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello, I have a dahua recorder DHI-NVR4104-P with 2 cameras DH-IPC-HDW4421, connected it, works perfectly.
But both cameras are set as admin with password admin, if I now change them in my recorder then I no longer have an image.
So my question is how do I change my password for the cameras themselves, I was able to set the recorder password.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @dahuauser, if you let the NVR auto-configure an uninitialised camera, it will push automatically the NVR password to that camera. If you picked a high standard security password for the admin user, I am wondering why you would put another password within the camera itself?

So I think you have couple of options, but the easiest one: change the password of the NVR to something "safe", factory reset the camera (hold button 30s) and let the NVR configure the camera again.

Good luck Belgium!
CC

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, I have a dahua recorder DHI-NVR4104-P with 2 cameras DH-IPC-HDW4421, connected it, works perfectly.
But both cameras are set as admin with password admin, if I now change them in my recorder then I no longer have an image.
So my question is how do I change my password for the cameras themselves, I was able to set the recorder password.

How are you changing the camera passwords on your NVR?

if you want to change the camera password, you do it on the camera itself

Crows

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Hi BRF, can t it be done through the NVR by Camera Registration------- select cam you want then edit ----- modify Password ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Nope

That simply changes the credentials the NVR uses to contact the camera. It doesnt change anything on the camera. There's your problem.

dahuauser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @dahuauser, if you let the NVR auto-configure an uninitialised camera, it will push automatically the NVR password to that camera. If you picked a high standard security password for the admin user, I am wondering why you would put another password within the camera itself?

So I think you have couple of options, but the easiest one: change the password of the NVR to something "safe", factory reset the camera (hold button 30s) and let the NVR configure the camera again.

Good luck Belgium!
CC
Thanks, if I change the password on my NVR, the cameras cannot be accessed from the outside?

dahuauser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I change the password of the users.
How do I change the password on the camera?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, if I change the password on my NVR, the cameras cannot be accessed from the outside?
Hi Belgium!
If your camera's are on the POE ports of the camera, then you NEED to use the local port forwarding on the NVR (Internet Exploder icon under camera registration). And you will be prompted again for the password anyway.

If you want to be ultimately safe, you set one password in NVR and each camera with other unique passwords. But then you need (like you pointed out above) put each of these unique passwods under camera registration.

Per your last question: changing passwords from the downstream camera's is done in the webservices of that camera: IE icon on the NVR and pooff onto the camera.

Or, like I wrote: set an incredible unique password on the NVR, factory reset the camera and that unique password is propagated automatically.

If you are, for any reason, concerned about "security" and "access", please use a vlan (with an OpenVPN endpoint/routing access). Then we are talking!

Good luck!
CC

dahuauser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello, I changed my password on the nvr, no problem.
When I look at the password on the camera I see that it is user:admin and password:admin.
I change this to a different password but then I have no longer have a picture, if I change back to admin, I have a picture again.
Calling the camera via IP address in browser it does not work, remains on the login screen, enter user and password, but nothing happens.
When i using SmartPSS then i see the nvr as well.
I dont now what i am doing wrong!

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, I changed my password on the nvr, no problem.
When I look at the password on the camera I see that it is user:admin and password:admin.
I change this to a different password but then I have no longer have a picture, if I change back to admin, I have a picture again.
Calling the camera via IP address in browser it does not work, remains on the login screen, enter user and password, but nothing happens.
When i using SmartPSS then i see the nvr as well.
I dont now what i am doing wrong!
As you insist on not giving us all the required information we need:
  • draw the NVR-IPC network diagram: is this IPC connected to the POE ports or not?
  • how do you connect to your NVR? Show screenshot of your browser WITH the ip address of the NVR
  • how do you connect to your IPV? Show screenshot of your browser WITH the ip addres of the IPC

THEN we can advice on what might or might not be wrong.

PS. trying another browser might be a good gamble too :p

dahuauser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for helping me further.
The cameras are connected to the NVR with UTP cable POE.
The NVR is connected via an HDMI cable to a PC screen and via a switch to the internet.
All this works perfectly.
Photo1: display screen nvr
Photo2: display of camera setting
Photo3: NVR requested on PC with PSS program
Photo4: try to request nvr in browser, get login screen, admin as user and my nvr password, but nothing happens
Photo5: camera directly connected to switch with POE support and requested with IP scanner, this sees the camera.
Photo6: camera with browser requested.

Attachments

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @dahuauser , okay this is helping! Photo1, 3 and 5 indicate that your camera is fully configured by the NVR. Photo 3 even more indicates your NVR is fully operational and SmartPSS can access these cams.

So what worries me the most is your Photo 4: which browser are you using? This looks like Chrome? What happens if you use IE (like in photo 7) to surft to 192.168.1.122? Does that also do "nothing"?

Once you get into the webservice of the NVR, you can use the local port forwarding to access the NVR (through 192.168.1.122:10080 for example) without having to bricolage with additional POE switches.

Good luck!
CC

dahuauser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Internet explorer asks for a plugin, but does not know which one.

The problem is that I cannot change the password of the camera that is "admin", I do this in the NVR, only place where I can do that, I get no more image of the camera, change back to "admin" and I have an image again.

I want to change this too, is the first thing you have to do, for that I have to be able to adjust this in the camera itself before connecting it to the NVR or am I wrong.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Internet explorer asks for a plugin, but does not know which one.

The problem is that I cannot change the password of the camera that is "admin", I do this in the NVR, only place where I can do that, I get no more image of the camera, change back to "admin" and I have an image again.

I want to change this too, is the first thing you have to do, for that I have to be able to adjust this in the camera itself before connecting it to the NVR or am I wrong.
No you are absolutely right, you need to get into your camera to change the camera over there and THEN change the "connection" password of that camera in the NVR. The password you enter for the camera is ONLY to connect to it, not to change it.

Hence my suggestion above: if you want to have a difficult admin password in your camera: factory reset your NVR, configure it with a DIFFUCULT password. Then factory reset your IPC and it will get the same difficult admin password FROM the NVR.

Hope this helps!
CC

PS. if the nvr asks for a plugin, then you do not have the latest firmware. But I won't start fiddling with new firmwares if you are not satisfied with your current setup.

dahuauser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No you are absolutely right, you need to get into your camera to change the camera over there and THEN change the "connection" password of that camera in the NVR. The password you enter for the camera is ONLY to connect to it, not to change it.

Hence my suggestion above: if you want to have a difficult admin password in your camera: factory reset your NVR, configure it with a DIFFUCULT password. Then factory reset your IPC and it will get the same difficult admin password FROM the NVR.

Hope this helps!
CC

PS. if the nvr asks for a plugin, then you do not have the latest firmware. But I won't start fiddling with new firmwares if you are not satisfied with your current setup.
That's the problem, how do I reset the camera if I can't get in?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Read this