Change port from 80

KB23

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to Blue Iris and I'm trying to add IP cameras that have a different port then "80". How can I change this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm new to Blue Iris and I'm trying to add IP cameras that have a different port then "80". How can I change this?
Welcome to the forum. If its the http port add :XXXX after the ip address just like you would in the browser. The rtsp port has its own box in camera properties>video config.
You dont need to mess around changing ports from the default, it serves no purpose.

KB23

n3wb
Reaction score
even if my port is ie (47000). Do i still do the same thing?

KB23

n3wb
Reaction score
Why is you port 47000?
Lets start from the beginning, what are you trying to do?
I have several Ip cameras on a secure network and they all cant be on 80 port. so i have to change the ports to keep them on the same network. All Im trying to do is add them to blue iris and dont know how to change the port in BI to add the cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have several Ip cameras on a secure network and they all cant be on 80 port. so i have to change the ports to keep them on the same network. All Im trying to do is add them to blue iris and dont know how to change the port in BI to add the cameras.
All the cameras can have the same port. The port is unique to the cameras ip address. If you still want to make life difficult and change ports for no reason, see my instructions above.

Tincanalley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had to assign ports to each camera so they could be accessed from outside for updates and adjustments. Only way to do that was to assign unique port numbers and redirect in the router. I've been to lazy lately to find a better solution as it's not a priority at the moment.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had to assign ports to each camera so they could be accessed from outside for updates and adjustments. Only way to do that was to assign unique port numbers and redirect in the router. I've been to lazy lately to find a better solution as it's not a priority at the moment.
First, that is a terrible idea. The cameras a loaded with security holes. Not only are you cameras compromised but anything on that network is as well. If you have a pc running on the camera network like the OP all you need to do is remote into the pc to access the cameras.
Second, you still dont have to change camera ports. Most routers allow you to set any external port to route to any internal port.

Tincanalley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First, that is a terrible idea. The cameras a loaded with security holes. Not only are you cameras compromised but anything on that network is as well. If you have a pc running on the camera network like the OP all you need to do is remote into the pc to access the cameras.
Second, you still dont have to change camera ports. Most routers allow you to set any external port to route to any internal port.
First they would need to know the IP of my network, then they would need to know what ports I opened for forwarding. All other ports are blocked. So even if they managed to find the port number I set for a camera, that's the only place they would be routed to. There is no other place for the packets to go. They will be rejected. If they do make it to a camera, they would need to know the ID and password (they are not default).

Your way has me open a port to my machine that would allow full access to my network. This is more of a security issue as access to that machine will give them access to everything on my network that machine has access to. That's much more than a camera where all they would get is a video feed and be able to mess with my settings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First they would need to know the IP of my network, then they would need to know what ports I opened for forwarding. All other ports are blocked. So even if they managed to find the port number I set for a camera, that's the only place they would be routed to. There is no other place for the packets to go. They will be rejected. If they do make it to a camera, they would need to know the ID and password (they are not default).

Your way has me open a port to my machine that would allow full access to my network. This is more of a security issue as access to that machine will give them access to everything on my network that machine has access to. That's much more than a camera where all they would get is a video feed and be able to mess with my settings.
A little bit of knowledge is dangerous. Your statement indicates that you dont understand how hackers operate. They scan ipaddress. They scan ports - takes a seconds. Your cameras password is worthless if the firmware is compromised. Firmware is constantly explited and hackers have been able to gain network access via the camera. When there is a reported hack manufacrues often ignore it and if they do fix it there is a six month to 1 year delay.
Opening a port to blue iris is way less risky simply because its constantly updates and vulnerabilities are immediately addressed. Why you would give a vms machine full network access is beyond me. Furthermore you need access to the pc for remote viewing of recorded video, something you cannot do with your method unless the camera has an sd card.
If you really want to secure the setup, use VPN.
You method of port forwarding the camera particularly the http port is dangerous and should never be used.

Tincanalley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, other than VPN, how you would you remotely access the cameras to update firmware or make changes to settings?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, other than VPN, how you would you remotely access the cameras to update firmware or make changes to settings?
Any of the many remote access software apps. Chrome remote desktop, Teamviewer, logmein, splashtop