Changed Router and Cams Don't Display Now

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Have you tried to log into the new router? My guess is you can probably put the new router in bridge mode then connect and use your old router.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No I'm not sure where to login or what credentials to use.
You can try opening 192.168.1.1 in your web browser, as for credentials you'll need to look on the router, sometimes the default username is 'admin' and some Internet sources say the default Calix password is blank. Otherwise you'll need to contact your ISP again and ask them.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with ISP tech and no problem he set up port forwarding no questions asked! I wasn't looking forward to calling them again because the last two times I got the same tech and he didn't act like he wanted to help me like it was a waste of his time. This time though I got a different one and he was great! I was right they don't want me messing with their router settings. Lol!

Now I had been using the free no-ip DDNS but they don't support that particular one only DynDNS which costs $55 a year so I'll have to think about that. Fenderman recommended back in 2016 I have a dynamic dns service so I've using the free no-ip since then... so don't know if it's worth continuing to have for $55 a year.

Can't thank you guys enough for helping me out!

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Awesome glad you got it taken care of. You don't really need any DNS services, you can set up BI to tell the app when your external IP address updates and the app should work as long as forwarding is setup. Normally external IP's only update if the router is rebooted or your ISP makes changes. Mine has been the same for years now, even though it is DHCP.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is that a simple setting in BI to tell the app when your external IP address updates?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is that a simple setting in BI to tell the app when your external IP address updates?
Yes, in version 5 it is on the settings main page and it's a check box for "Register IP address to assist with client app connections". Also enter your BI license in the BI app and there is a button labeled "Get IPS" which will update with your current external IP address.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If anyone's still around maybe you can answer this for me.

With this new Calix router I remember the tech saying when he installed it that it combined the 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz bands and used the one that was the strongest... with my old router I was able to choose what band a particular device connected to. So what happens now when I have devices that can only connect at 2.4 Ghz? My GBF doorbell camera & my Nexx Garage door opener can only run on 2.4 Ghz and I've having a hard time getting them to connect to this new router.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would think legacy 2.4 devices should still be able to connect. What trouble are you having? Do you only have one SSID being broadcast and can you connect to it with your doorbell and opener?

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would think legacy 2.4 devices should still be able to connect. What trouble are you having? Do you only have one SSID being broadcast and can you connect to it with your doorbell and opener?
Well my two devices are both finicky anyway when it comes to connecting to WiFi... what I don’t know is if it has anything to do with my route’s combined 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz or whether it’s due to its flakey software. The way I understood the installer is that the two bands were combined instead of being able to select one or the other like you normally can... then whichever band was stronger that was selected.

Just got off the phone with garage door opener tech and I was able to connect by taking the controller next to my router and it did connect to WiFi. Then I took it back to the garage and hooked it back up so it’s working again.

Now he did see how his device or other devices that could only run on 2.4 GHz might have issues connecting when the router combined the bands. In fact he said I can’t guarantee my garage door opener will connect without you calling your ISP and having them separate the bands... luckily it did.

It’s still possible the combined bands are keeping my doorbell camera from connecting suppose I’ll have to try connecting their tech support again.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you tried to log into the new router? My guess is you can probably put the new router in bridge mode then connect and use your old router.
Seems like the ISP wants to make -their- lives easier by providing less then optimum configuration on their new modem/router.

The solution (for me) would be to call back the ISP and have them turn off wifi, disable dhcp, and put their device into bridge mode so that I could use my own router's wifi, dhcp, etc they way I wanted (needed) it configured.

===

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have another question while I can now view all my cameras (except doorbell camera) from my BI apps (iPad's & Android phone) my wife who is in a nursing home still can't... which is now locked down. I took a picture of the my BI app's Edit page and verbally told her what the new LAN & WAN settings should be along with sending her a photo of my settings. She's pretty bad with this stuff but tells me she still can't view the cameras on both her iPad and Android phone... her WiFi is working fine.

Do you think this is human err on her part or some other reason why she can't view the cameras remotely via BI remote apps in a different location that me?