Changing Hikvision NVR

diesel dog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Following on from my last post where my NVR wouldn't boot up - well it did then decided to finally die over the weekend - Hikvision NVR not booting up

I've ordered a new NVR which should arrive tomorrow. Is it pretty straight forward to replace the old with the new and is there anything in particular I need to do to ensure the change is smooth?

diesel dog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The new NVR is now in and on. Just a couple of head scratchers - both cams are recording and won't seem to go into motion sensor despite the enable motion and enable dynamic analysis boxes ticked or unticked. The areas are highlighted on both cams and just seem to record constantly no matter what I do.

Secondly and I recall I had this before but can't remember what was done to correct it - I can views the cams in the H/vision app only when it's connected to my home wifi. If I try to view on my mobile phone wifi and not house wifi they won't be displayed.

diesel dog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've managed to sort out viewing on my phone but the issue I have with wanting it to record in motion only is still there. As you stated it does show as continuous in the storage schedule. I've set it to "event" and then saved it but it won't move on from continuous. I'm on firmware version V4.30.060 build 201228. The other thing I've noticed is that one of the cams in live view seems a bit juddery. The other thing I noticed which is no longer present is the ability to be able to zoom in on live view.

On a side note. I did go into camera management and although I can see both cams the IP addys are 192.168.254.2 and 192.168.254.3 while the IP for the NVR is 192.168.1.133. Shouldn't the cam ips be something like 192.168.1.133 xyz?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
On a side note. I did go into camera management and although I can see both cams the IP addys are 192.168.254.2 and 192.168.254.3 while the IP for the NVR is 192.168.1.133. Shouldn't the cam ips be something like 192.168.1.133 xyz?
No, the NVR PoE ports by default are on the 192.168.254.x IP address range.
It's a separate network from the LAN.
Presumably you used the link under the 'Connect' column to access the cameras web GUI.
That's provided by the NVR 'Vitual Host' facility, it's a 'natted' connection, hover the mouse on the link and check out the URL.

I've set it to "event" and then saved it but it won't move on from continuous.
What colour are the schedule bars shown as?
Are they blue or purple?

diesel dog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now you said that it does make sense. I wasn't sure if it was something I overlooked but seen as it's all working fine it does make sense.

I managed to get the IP numbers just now for the cams by going into Network, advanced settings then ticking the "enable virtual host" box then save. I went into both cams and bearing in mind I've not updated them since new (2016 or something like that) I'm unsure if it will be of any use or will somehow affect or complicate the set up in any way. Both have motion enabled box ticked.

The schedule bars are in blue'ish colour and the dropdown menu shows it as continuous. it show events as purple but once I set it and save for events it goes back to continuous.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The schedule bars are in blue'ish colour and the dropdown menu shows it as continuous.
The dropdown is only for selecting what will be applied when a change is being made - it doesn't reflect what's currently set.
Blue indicates the schedule is set for continuous.

it show events as purple but once I set it and save for events it goes back to continuous.
You're saying that changing the settings to purple for 'Events' doesn't stick when saved?
Maybe try IE11 if you aren't currently using it.

diesel dog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's correct. It doesn't stick when saved so it is continuously recording and not on motion. I can go click on events then save it but it won't save it.

Just checked and I'm in IE11.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can go click on events then save it but it won't save it.
OK, back to basics, and apologies if this is what you've already been doing, but just for the avoidance of doubt :
In the NVR web GUI, Storage | Schedule settings | Record Schedule tab.

Select the camera from the camera drop down list.
Tick the Enable box.
Select 'Event' in the dropdown below that.
Click 'Delete all'.
All day and time selections should now be blank.
Click in the blank area of Monday, and drag the selection both ways until it shows 00:00 - 24:00 (or as needed).
Hover the mouse just to the right of '24' and click the button that appears.
You probably want to tick the 'Select all' box, then click OK.
All days and times should fill with what was selected for Monday.
Then click the Save button at the bottom.

'Events' should record for both Motion and Smart event detection.
'Motion' should record only for Motion detection.