Cheap camera compatible with Blue Iris software

Reaction score

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a junk camera. Purchase a wired POE camera from Hikvision or Dahua. You won't be disappointed.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think Hikvision or Dahua make those cheapo indoor PoS PTZ cameras. I don't know why people buy this rubbish, even if you knew nothing about this stuff, it looks cheap and is a glorified webcam.

DH-IPC-HDW4221C probably same price and infinitely better.

WaltB

n3wb
Reaction score
Check RioLink. Around $75 on Amazon. POE, Audio. 4MP. 410 or 420

BigGsWorld

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought this HOSAFE 720p camera from Amazon for $36, and have been extremely happy with the quality. Daytime colors are perfect, night IR is strong. I am so happy after a week - I just ordered two of the 2mp versions that can do 1080p. I'll install them this weekend.
The only downside - they're a little hard to configure. I would even say impossible to configure with a web browser. You have to use the software installed on the CD to configure the devices and it's not trivial. Be aware that the software is a little buggy on Win10, so you may have to reboot your pc after setting everything up. One of the programs hangs on exit and will eat up some CPU. The plus side is you only do this once.

Here's how you do it -
0) Pre-setup stuff - connect the camera to your network, boot it up, look at DHCP and set a static lease for the device. Reboot the camera so it is at the IP you expect.
1) Install the software
2) log in with Admin no password
3) On top left right click default group and select Add Device.
4) Change the device "Connect Type" from nvsip to IP/Domain Name
5) Put in the ip address and username admin / default password (I don't remember it, you'll have to look it up in the docs)
6) Give it a few seconds (maybe 20) and then you can right click the new device and connect it.
7) Right click the new device again and select "Device Config", and select the Gear for System.
8) On System Settings tab - set the OSD however you want (I turned it off and let blue iris handle it)
9) Go to user settings tab and change the admin password. I added a blueiris user as well. For some reason I think it needed to be Administrator.
10) Click the REGISTER button. (Should just say OK - bad translation)

In blueiris
1) Click + to add a network camera
2) Put in the ip address, user and password, and then find/inspect settings.
3) Confirm the size is correct for the camera and set whatever other settings you need.

All done!

The $36 720p version (see a screencap below):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JCIGVMM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=ipctk-20

View attachment 2016072010532356801.bmp

This is the 1080 2mp version for $56
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z09G8F2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=ipctk-20

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Stay away from cheap garbage like hosafe. There are known good reliable brands.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought this HOSAFE 720p camera from Amazon for $36, and have been extremely happy with the quality. Daytime colors are perfect, night IR is strong. I am so happy after a week - I just ordered two of the 2mp versions that can do 1080p. I'll install them this weekend.
The only downside - they're a little hard to configure. I would even say impossible to configure with a web browser. You have to use the software installed on the CD to configure the devices and it's not trivial. Be aware that the software is a little buggy on Win10, so you may have to reboot your pc after setting everything up. One of the programs hangs on exit and will eat up some CPU. The plus side is you only do this once.
That screenshot is terrible for 720p. You can get a Chinese 4MP Hikvision turret for $70 and not have any of those issues either. You have no frame of reference for comparison is a big problem with first time posters. Hosafe is known for being rubbish and unreliable.

Thanks for the help with those stuck with Hosafe cameras wanting them to use it with BI. But no-one should be buying Hosafe instead of Hikvision/Dahua/LTS etc.

BigGsWorld

n3wb
Reaction score
That screenshot is terrible for 720p. You can get a Chinese 4MP Hikvision turret for $70 and not have any of those issues either. You have no frame of reference for comparison is a big problem with first time posters. Hosafe is known for being rubbish and unreliable.

Thanks for the help with those stuck with Hosafe cameras wanting them to use it with BI. But no-one should be buying Hosafe instead of Hikvision/Dahua/LTS etc.

You're certainly welcome!

I'll stand by my recommendation for someone wanting a $35 camera that seems to perform reasonably.

My criteria was:
1) I'm replacing some analog NTSC cameras from circa 2012.
2) I have no real budget for this project - I can spend probably $200. If I had $1000 that would be a different calculation
3) I can get two $35 ip cameras for one of your suggested versions at $70
4) I have an underpowered i5 that is a decommissioned desktop - so I don't want to kill it with 4mp cameras - I intentionally chose lower resolution, so I thought I'd the 2mp, but I don't want 3 and 4mp cameras.

BigGsWorld

n3wb
Reaction score
Stay away from cheap garbage like hosafe. There are known good reliable brands.
I would if I had the luxury.

My criteria was:
1) I'm replacing some analog NTSC cameras from circa 2012.
2) I have no real budget for this project - I can spend probably $200. If I had $1000 that would be a different calculation
4) I have an underpowered i5 that is a decommissioned desktop - so I don't want to kill it with 4mp cameras - I intentionally chose lower resolution, so I thought I'd the 2mp, but I don't want 3 and 4mp cameras.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're certainly welcome!

I'll stand by my recommendation for someone wanting a $35 camera that seems to perform reasonably.

2x 720p Hosafe is worse than 1x 4MP Hikvision, there's no doubt about that. You can turn the 4MP down to 2MP if you are having bandwidth issues, you can't turn a Hosafe up or make it more reliable.

I'm still warning people away from Hosafe, you might be perfectly happy with this rubbish but don't recommend it to others even with lots of caveats.

BigGsWorld

n3wb
Reaction score
2x 720p Hosafe is worse than 1x 4MP Hikvision, there's no doubt about that. You can turn the 4MP down to 2MP if you are having bandwidth issues, you can't turn a Hosafe up or make it more reliable.

I'm still warning people away from Hosafe, you might be perfectly happy with this rubbish but don't recommend it to others even with lots of caveats.
You're still missing the point. If I want to replace a camera on the deck and one on the driveway - that's really hard to do with a single $70 camera.

I appreciate you suggesting better cameras, and I used those same brands to search when starting this project. I just couldn't afford them. I was suggesting an option for someone in my boat.

-G

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're still missing the point. If I want to replace a camera on the deck and one on the driveway - that's really hard to do with a single $70 camera.

I appreciate you suggesting better cameras, and I used those same brands to search when starting this project. I just couldn't afford them. I was suggesting an option for someone in my boat.

-G
No you're missing the point. You're recommending unreliable rubbish and saying it's amazing when it's not. Buy right, buy once. Buy crap like this... well, there's enough people on here who have come here for help making that mistake only to end up having to bin them and buy decent cameras. It's the easy.

It's called a false economy.

BigGsWorld

n3wb
Reaction score
No you're missing the point. You're recommending unreliable rubbish and saying it's amazing when it's not. Buy right, buy once. Buy crap like this... well, there's enough people on here who have come here for help making that mistake only to end up having to bin them and buy decent cameras. It's the easy.

It's called a false economy.
I wonder what the record for "You're missing the point - no you're missing the point - no you're missing the point" thread is? I realize this is getting far afield -

I would disagree and suggest you're missing the point of my post. I'll grant a few points:
1) Is hosafe a great brand? No
2) Should you buy better if you can? Yes.
3) Did I claim I was happy? yes - (saying it was amazing might be stretching it a bit)
4) Would it have been helpful and appropriate to say "Yah - man, you might want to buy better if you can. Try x, or y."
5) Am I new to the board? Yes

But I will disagree with your "false economy" statements - the "false" implies a value judgement, and you and I don't agree on the value.

For example - extrapolating from you're unreliable rubbish comments:

Have you ever intentionally purchased an american made car? Why would you purchase unreliable rubbish when you can purchase a exquisitely crafted german or british car for 2x or 3x the price? That would be a false economy.

Have you ever intentionally purchased a Samsung or LG tv? Surely it was rubbish. Why would you do that when there are incomparable TV's available like the Beovision Avant - it has an amazing 85" screen and meticulous color and deep blacks from the adaptive color profile. Just because it is $29,000 is no barrier - that would be a false economy. :)

Sometimes we buy what we can afford and meets the need. It's the american way. (well, I suppose buying what we can't afford is more the american way - but I digress)

-G

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you ever intentionally purchased an american made car? Why would you purchase unreliable rubbish when you can purchase a exquisitely crafted german or british car for 2x or 3x the price? That would be a false economy.
Exactly the same. Pretty much no-one outside of NA has purchased an American made car.

If you hadn't noticed

<--------------------- I'm not American.

Better value would be a decent AHD camera at that price point and I'm saying that on IPcamtalk.

I just don't want people buying unreliable rubbish because they think it'll be great when in reality it won't be.

BigGsWorld

n3wb
Reaction score
Exactly the same. Pretty much no-one outside of NA has purchased an American made car.

If you hadn't noticed

<--------------------- I'm not American.

Better value would be a decent AHD camera at that price point and I'm saying that on IPcamtalk.

I just don't want people buying unreliable rubbish because they think it'll be great when in reality it won't be.
You're right - i hadn't noticed!
I drive a GM vechicle for the same reason I bought a hosafe camera - it makes economic sense. My vehicle weighs almost 6000 lbs, has a 6 liter v8 and gets a whopping 13mpg in town, maybe 16 on the interstate. But gas is $1.85/gal (I did the math - that's 0.37 pounds per liter). I bought it when I used to tow a boat to the lake every weekend, but now it's my daily driver. (Boy am I glad I threw in "english" cars at the last second! :) I was thinking bentley, aston and rolls)

I agree - I don't want to buy something that they'll be unhappy with - but for $35 I'm happy, so I thought I'd share.

I appreciate someone jumping in to clarify that I might not be happy long term.

-G

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're right - i hadn't noticed!
I drive a GM vechicle for the same reason I bought a hosafe camera - it makes economic sense. My vehicle weighs almost 6000 lbs, has a 6 liter v8 and gets a whopping 13mpg in town, maybe 16 on the interstate. But gas is $1.85/gal (I did the math - that's 0.37 pounds per liter). I bought it when I used to tow a boat to the lake every weekend, but now it's my daily driver. (Boy am I glad I threw in "english" cars at the last second! :) I was thinking bentley, aston and rolls)

I agree - I don't want to buy something that they'll be unhappy with - but for $35 I'm happy, so I thought I'd share.

I appreciate someone jumping in to clarify that I might not be happy long term.

-G
As long as you are happy that is the most important thing! I hope your 2MP ones are better quality and I really do hope they are reliable compared to one's people have had in the past.

Good luck with them! (Maybe stick the 720p in a non-essential area - sorry I can't help myself!).

BigGsWorld

n3wb
Reaction score
As long as you are happy that is the most important thing! I hope your 2MP ones are better quality and I really do hope they are reliable compared to one's people have had in the past.

Good luck with them! (Maybe stick the 720p in a non-essential area - sorry I can't help myself!).
As far as the 720 goes - it was almost accidental. I had a camera finally die (it would drop out and come back, I checked the cables, balun, power, all were switched, so I finally figured out it was the camera. I bought another analog camera to replace it, and saw the hosafe ip cam at the same time. (I hadn't played with IP cameras since about 2010 or so when Axxis cameras were really the only game in town and $1500.) So I got both (within a few dollars of each other). I was happy enough that I decided to upgrade a few others with the meager $ I had available.

I've been a lurker for a while - saw the post thought I'd chime in.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do agree that compared to 900TVL which people are peddling as "as good as 720p or better", than this is much better. 720p > 900TVL by quite a way.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...I agree - I don't want to buy something that they'll be unhappy with - but for $35 I'm happy, so I thought I'd share...I appreciate someone jumping in to clarify that I might not be happy long term...
Yours is a false happiness G!:)

BigGsWorld

n3wb
Reaction score
I do agree that compared to 900TVL which people are peddling as "as good as 720p or better", than this is much better. 720p > 900TVL by quite a way.
My old ones weren't even 900TVL, they're plain old 525 line analog with a Cat5 balun, circa 2012. So this is a dramatic improvement for $35.

- - - Updated - - -

Yours is a false happiness G!:)
Aw man! How can my happiness be false? it's mine andyou can't have it! :)