Cheap indoor PT camera for temporary install?

jec6613

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually I do think it is a relevant post to the discussion, especially for anybody referencing this thread in the future like the NOOB that is just a typical homeowner like most of us and comes here thinking they need NDAA compliant cameras because some internet article scared them into thinking Chinese made cameras are bad and stumbles across this thread
It's irrelevant because I didn't ask for NDAA compliant cameras and never said it's a requirement. Those are trivial to find a database of.

Aside, saying that just shutting off the internet or using dual NICs is enough is disingenuous: it isn't, at least not for the last few years. To be somewhat secure, set up the NVR in a DMZ VLAN, poke the (stateful) firewall holes in and out so you can manage, patch, and access it, then put the cameras on different untrusted VLAN that can only route to your DMZ with only DHCP, NTP, and a local DNS table as services provided, add in switch-level L2 isolation on that VLAN so the cameras can't talk to each other, then poke the (again, stateful) firewall holes to the NVR.*

And since you're so curious, in my case it's an insurance company requirement, and it's not as uncommon as you may think. If you have an alarm discount+cyber rider, it's a pretty normal requirement, up there with a fire alarm being UL listed and your door lock meeting some arbitrary security level - read your own policy for details. I also know many people in the private sector who must meet various audit requirements on even their home networks, though they almost always just pay a third party company to take care of it.

My preference is not to use a cloud solution, and to just stick with I can set up easily to do exactly what I want, and don't have to teach anybody how to use. And as you might imagine given I read my insurance policy, I also read the TOS and PP of any cloud service I subscribe to, which is a whole other issue.

*Yes I have more than this, but that's at least a starting point that most L3 switches or VLAN capable routers can handle without choking.

Edit to add: the reason it's on the insurance, as well as many audit requirements, is it means there's a throat to grab if something goes wrong. The insurance company can't sic its lawyers on a PRC-owned company.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's irrelevant because I didn't ask for NDAA compliant cameras and never said it's a requirement. Those are trivial to find a database of.

Aside, saying that just shutting off the internet or using dual NICs is enough is disingenuous: it isn't, at least not for the last few years. To be somewhat secure, set up the NVR in a DMZ VLAN, poke the (stateful) firewall holes in and out so you can manage, patch, and access it, then put the cameras on different untrusted VLAN that can only route to your DMZ with only DHCP, NTP, and a local DNS table as services provided, add in switch-level L2 isolation on that VLAN so the cameras can't talk to each other, then poke the (again, stateful) firewall holes to the NVR.*

And since you're so curious, in my case it's an insurance company requirement, and it's not as uncommon as you may think. If you have an alarm discount+cyber rider, it's a pretty normal requirement, up there with a fire alarm being UL listed and your door lock meeting some arbitrary security level - read your own policy for details. I also know many people in the private sector who must meet various audit requirements on even their home networks, though they almost always just pay a third party company to take care of it.

My preference is not to use a cloud solution, and to just stick with I can set up easily to do exactly what I want, and don't have to teach anybody how to use. And as you might imagine given I read my insurance policy, I also read the TOS and PP of any cloud service I subscribe to, which is a whole other issue.

*Yes I have more than this, but that's at least a starting point that most L3 switches or VLAN capable routers can handle without choking.
See now we are sharing and learning and that is good.

I have not seen anyone post it being an insurance company requirement, but I could see how that could be possible and a quick Google search shows some have that as a requirement.

That adds another level that may or may not come into play for the typical homeowner. I have also seen some articles where insurance companies oppose NDAA requirements as they feel it would be an unwarranted intrusion into the contractual relationship between insurance providers and their customers.

I just checked my policy and confirmed with my agent that it is not a requirement for my policy and riders....at least yet LOL.

I am also aware of many employers having requirements for their employee home networks if they access work from home. Mine have passed in the past.

It sounds like you are aware of securing the system and not a fan of cloud-based cameras either.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I just checked my policy and confirmed with my agent that it is not a requirement for my policy and riders....at least yet LOL.
What exactly is "it."

I'm not sure how we got from a few cheap temporary cams for mom and dad's house to enterprise-level network isolation. lol

jec6613

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What exactly is "it."

I'm not sure how we got from a few cheap temporary cams for mom and dad's house to enterprise-level network isolation. lol
Insurance having requirements for any installed surveillance systems.

And this is still hopefully still about cheap temporary network cams, I just have one requirement that apparently got people's dander up for some reason.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I meant what are the specific requirements? What you outlined above couldn't be met by more than maybe 1-2% of the homeowner population. That's probably being generous. Shit, many enterprises that I worked with wouldn't. lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What exactly is "it."

I would also be interested in knowing who the insurance company is requiring it.

But we got to this point because one of his requirements was it not be a Chinese camera, and with him being a new member just this afternoon, we had to ask why that requirement. As you know we have had many NOOB coming here thinking they need to get NDAA complaint stuff because some article scared them and in most instances once they learned what NDAA really meant and who it applied to, they then went and got Dahua or Hikvsion OEM as they represented the best overall value in terms of cost and performance.

But the OP mentioned a new point that we haven't seen here regarding his requirement. It will be interesting to see if that becomes an issue in the future.