Cheap video doorbell

DevilEye

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello people,
I'm new to the forum and don't have much experience in Surveillance Systems. I want a advice for a cheap video bell because I don't have a lot of money to shoot blind. I had a Chinese video doorbell Eken V5 but they stole it. There was no Cloud recording, just an SD card (which they stole with it) and I couldn't figure out who stole it. In truth, I was pleased with it, but it didn't cover all the requirements I had. I am currently watching Dbell HD live and the Yoosee SD-M5 as they are priced at £ 50. I'm from Bulgaria and the purchase has to come from the UK (I couldn't find Yoosee there).
My requirements are:
1. Be able to hard wired. I have put the power cable (twisted pair) to the mounting location. No LAN cable, WiFi will be used.
2. Have a stable Android app that rings without having to constantly work in the background and be able to turn off the LED illumination of the ring button.
3. Have a free Cloud to keep at least the last video recording of the motion detection, since I don't have a Surveillance System at the moment. Or at least be able to save video files on the local network.
4. Be able to constantly monitor from a computer or with appropriate local area network software (ONVIF / RSTP) without affecting the motion detection records and the operation of the mobile application. If there is an opportunity for integration into Smart home it will be good too.
5. Good close-up image and stable operation of the motion detection because it will be used in front of the apartment door where there is a lot of movement.

With these requirements, I may be choose Dbell, but I don't know how successful the mobile app is. If anyone can tell if app get notifications and ring when the app is not running in the background?

Overall, please share your experience on both devices with the listed criteria. If you can also share short clips of day and night shooting (I read what I was able to find for both devices in the forum, but I couldn't find almost anything for Dbell).

If you have other suggestions for devices within £ 50 I'll be glad to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, but it exceeds my budget more than twice.
Although I don't have a video doorbell at this time, I can state from reading the forums for the last 2 years (as I was and still am interested in one) that you'll likely have to change your requirements (read "lower your expectations") if you don't want to exceed the UK equivalent of $65 USD.

If you ever do find such a critter, please let me (us) know :cool:.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have shipped a couple of items to the EU and UK in the last 2 months and shipping was close to $100. Just a couple of years ago it was around $50.

Not sure what the shipping would be between Chicago and Bulgaria. Probably a lot more than UK to Bulgaria shipping.

This is using US Postal service.

That said I have a RIng Doorbell that I used for about a month or so and a Hikvision OEM generation 1 video Doorbell that I could sell to you for around $50 USD.

PM me with your address in Bulgaria and I will respond with a USPS shipping quote.

DevilEye

n3wb
Reaction score
Although I don't have a video doorbell at this time, I can state from reading the forums for the last 2 years (as I was and still am interested in one) that you'll likely have to change your requirements (read "lower your expectations") if you don't want to exceed the UK equivalent of $65 USD.

If you ever do find such a critter, please let me (us) know :cool:.
As I mentioned in my first post, I was also pleased with the Eken V5, so I don't have very high requirements for the device, it just has to meet my needs. The two devices mentioned above meet my requirements, I just want to choose the best, they fit into the price frame as well. The $ 65 price tag is even overkill.
It's important for me that the Android app doesn't require too much attention because my parents are old and don't understand much on their phones. I can't find much information about the Dbell phone app - what options it has, how it works ...
Everything else is secondary, and it is only important to have a backup of Motion detection. Whether it's Cloud or LAN - doesn't matter. Real-time monitoring is optional.
If you know of another such device and it is included in the price frame - please share.

Last edited:

DevilEye

n3wb
Reaction score
I have shipped a couple of items to the EU and UK in the last 2 months and shipping was close to $100. Just a couple of years ago it was around $50.

Not sure what the shipping would be between Chicago and Bulgaria. Probably a lot more than UK to Bulgaria shipping.

This is using US Postal service.

That said I have a RIng Doorbell that I used for about a month or so and a Hikvision OEM generation 1 video Doorbell that I could sell to you for around $50 USD.

PM me with your address in Bulgaria and I will respond with a USPS shipping quote.
Delivery will be more than the price of the device, we have customs fees in the EU.

GwaiTsi

n3wb
Reaction score
Delivery will be more than the price of the device, we have customs fees in the EU.
I just got one of these from aliexpress €36 including shipping. this is not a problem. There are no customs fees and sales tax, but under €45 it is not applicable anyway.

The problem is, there seems no ONVIF /RSTP option so i can't use with zoneminder. Otherwise the quality is good

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

Yep since Brexit there are a lot of issues. Was supposed to be a free trade agreement but atm, there are huge charges for customs clearance, so much so, people are refusing delivery and sending goods back. So hope the OP got his doorbell before Brexit. If not I advise trying to find it on Amazon within his own country or the EU.:

GwaiTsi

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep since Brexit there are a lot of issues. Was supposed to be a free trade agreement but atm, there are huge charges for customs clearance, so much so, people are refusing delivery and sending goods back. So hope the OP got his doorbell before Brexit. If not I advise trying to find it on Amazon within his more own country or the EU.:

is it a technical forum, or a political one? I am looking for how to avoid using the Eken v5 cloud for storage and a solution to using it with zoneminder.
Not political rhetoric on sales tax which is 20% and 19% in Germany.
If you buy cross boarder you are still required to pay within the EU (formally you would pay VAT in the UK when sending to DE or Mswt in DE when sending to the UK).
When buy cross boarder outside the EU means you buy taxfree in the EU or UK, and then pay the sales tax on the import side.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What I have seen is that most or many of the IP cameras / video doorbell cameras are all similiar in hardware and using a Dahua / Hikvision based OS with a "custom" cloud app which really is using same cloud as everybody else uses.

Here using the tools available disabled the cloud app and modified the camera OS to my liking.