Cheatsheet for which Dahuas to buy?

Shige

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I ordered from Andy about 18 months ago and had a great experience with his shop and the Dahua products.

I'm trying to figure out what to order in August 2020 but there are so many cameras that seem to be overlapping in attributes and/or are updated versions of other models that are still on sale.

I was wondering if there is a short list of the top cameras to use, so I get the latest and greatest in each category. Is there such a list around?

I've been looking through the offerings for a few days and I'm still not sure what to get.

Thanks.

Shige

n3wb
Reaction score
The 4mp 5442 is a current favourite, available in bullet and turret, fixed and varifocal.

You really need to state what exactly your requirements are in all honesty else my generic recommendation is what you’ll get.

Thank you!

I have two houses I want to watch. One about 1200 sq feet single story and another 2700 sq feet two story.

I plan to have at least one in the garage and cameras watching all the front and sides.

I wanted to also add a motorized one up high for looking around.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have one 4MP that works great and it might be the 5442.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
I have two houses I want to watch. One about 1200 sq feet single story and another 2700 sq feet two story.

I plan to have at least one in the garage and cameras watching all the front and sides.

I wanted to also add a motorized one up high for looking around.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have one 4MP that works great and it might be the 5442.
If you bought it 18 months ago, it is not a 5442.

By 'motorized one' do you mean a PTZ?

What you have listed are not requirements. They are locations. What are you attempting to achieve? Just a wide angle overview? Do you have choke points that would work for face level shots? Do you need low light color at night? What level of outdoor lighting do you have? Do you have an NVR or are you using BI? There are many other attributes that impact what camera to get. You need to think about what each location needs for a view, make a plan based on that requirement.

Also, there is not a cheat sheet. A while ago someone did post a summary of attributes for some cams, but I don't think it was kept up.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I ordered from Andy about 18 months ago and had a great experience with his shop and the Dahua products.

I'm trying to figure out what to order in August 2020 but there are so many cameras that seem to be overlapping in attributes and/or are updated versions of other models that are still on sale.

I was wondering if there is a short list of the top cameras to use, so I get the latest and greatest in each category. Is there such a list around?

I've been looking through the offerings for a few days and I'm still not sure what to get.

Thanks.
Welcome @Shige

Definitely review the cliff notes and the notes looney2ns pointed to which southernyankee put together.