Choose PTZ camera for weather station

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Holy shit...... that is gigantic! I knew it was a big camera, but not this BIG! Thanks for the comparison with Listerine bottle putting the size in perspective.:D
From the short time I have had it, I can see that it is a very robust device. I had an idea of its size based on the measurements on the website, which were 51 cm high, but its volume is extraordinary. Even so, I see that the photograph does not express reality either, because it seems that the upper part of the camera has deformed it a little, because I see that the proportions do not correspond to reality. I just hope it will last many years outdoors, and I understand that being a camera of this type, it will have a very high durability, but well, a case knows.

Now I'm going to make an 80×80 mast and a double wall anchor, and once everything is finished I'll put it up on the ceiling. It will still take me a few days to finish it, because I have to talk to the forge to cut the tube and make a few more things.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
With a bit of work, you could make it look like a Phalanx gun!

mk-15-phalanx-006.jpg

Does it have a speaker? You could upload an audio file of a Phalanx or minigun firing to give people a good scare.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does it have a speaker? You could upload an audio file of a Phalanx or minigun firing to give people a good scare.
Well, I don't know if it has a speaker (it should have one), I haven't done much research, but from the camera model I guess it doesn't, I'll investigate with time.

Ufff that gun, how many shots does it fire per second? With a good loudspeaker it will be able to terrorize my small population. :lmao:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, I don't know if it has a speaker (it should have one), I haven't done much research, but from the camera model I guess it doesn't, I'll investigate with time.

Ufff that gun, how many shots does it fire per second? With a good loudspeaker it will be able to terrorize my small population. :lmao:
4500 round per minute. Doesn't even hold a minute's worth of ammo as the magazine capacity is around 1,500 rounds. lol

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello again.

Yesterday the blacksmith came to take measurements of the mast (he also had to take measurements of some mosquito nets), and I wanted to ask you something about the power cables of this camera.

The power adapter has only two wires, positive and negative, but the camera has a third one which is the ground wire. Can I extend this ground cable and connect it to the ground cable of any socket in the installation of the house? I would not like to leave it disconnected.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is it a ground or an earth connection?
This is the yellow cable used in the home for when there is a power failure and it goes to the iron pole that is half a metre into the ground (which should be in every house). Well, I understand that the cable that carries the camera will have to be connected there, but well, as I have my doubts I'm asking it here.

1686140768703.png

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Systems there might be set up a little different than in the US, but, for the most part, work similarly.

Where does the yellow-green cable connect on the camera?

You have two choices depending on whether it is a live part or a dead part.

If a dead part (housing, enclosure, etc) then it needs to be connected to earth. It is normally achieved by inserting ground rods or other electrodes deep inside earth. Basically, just attached to something that can carry current to the earth.
If a live part (carries current under normal conditions, part of the power system) then it needs to be routed as typical through your electrical panel so that it is part of the protected circuit.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
For reference, the chassis screw circled in red would go directly to a ground rod and the ground terminal in the blue circle (from the power cord) would go to the ground of your circuit.

1686142036438.png

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking through the specs it appears that it uses it's own power supply and not POE? What does the connection from the power supply to camera look like?

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Systems there might be set up a little different than in the US, but, for the most part, work similarly.

Where does the yellow-green cable connect on the camera?

You have two choices depending on whether it is a live part or a dead part.

If a dead part (housing, enclosure, etc) then it needs to be connected to earth. It is normally achieved by inserting ground rods or other electrodes deep inside earth. Basically, just attached to something that can carry current to the earth.
If a live part (carries current under normal conditions, part of the power system) then it needs to be routed as typical through your electrical panel so that it is part of the protected circuit.
There are the three wires together coming out from inside the camera, but I am not going to disassemble the camera to see where it goes. I understand that it's going to be the cable like any electrical appliance so that if there is any leakage of electricity, it will go through this cable and you won't get a shock of electricity, as it could also serve to attenuate static electricity. From the beginning this cable would have to be connected to the chassis, but it comes out from inside the camera and I can't see it.

The power supply is external 36V, and only has a positive and negative cable. Here are some pictures of the provisional connection I made to test the camera before mounting it.

Attachments

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@wittaj

The 9225 ptz you speak of earlier in this thread, is it the DH-SD49225T-HN ?

Thx

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, and I wasn't suggesting you disassemble the camera. I just didn't know the nature of the connection.

Given that it uses the power supply and it only has the + and - connections, I would connect the yellow-green to your mast and then make sure the mast is grounded to earth.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, and I wasn't suggesting you disassemble the camera. I just didn't know the nature of the connection.

Given that it uses the power supply and it only has the + and - connections, I would connect the yellow-green to your mast and then make sure the mast is grounded to earth.
The mast has to be attached to the wall, but it won't have a dedicated ground wire. The only thing I can do is to pull out an extra wire and connect it to the ground of any socket in the house, which is to dismantle the three-wire box and connect it to the yellow/green one. This is the best solution, because I also have to buy a few metres of cable for the positive and negative. Thanks for your help!

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally, having dealt with a lightning strike to my home, I would keep that wire separate from the grounding circuit in your house if it does not need to be connected to it.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Personally, having dealt with a lightning strike to my home, I would keep that wire separate from the grounding circuit in your house if it does not need to be connected to it.
Yes, you mean that it can be a lightning attractor because it is directly connected to the house installation. I understand that it is not necessary to connect it, the only thing you can do is to put a retractable thermos and leave it insulated so that it does not rust.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, you mean that it can be a lightning attractor because it is directly connected to the house installation. I understand that it is not necessary to connect it, the only thing you can do is to put a retractable thermos and leave it insulated so that it does not rust.
No, that is not what I meant.

If the PTZ is struck by lightning, you are now introducing unnecessary current into the circuitry of your home. Connecting the wire directly to earth, and not grounding through the circuitry of the home, will help to avoid this.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, that is not what I meant.

If the PTZ is struck by lightning, you are now introducing unnecessary current into the circuitry of your home. Connecting the wire directly to earth, and not grounding through the circuitry of the home, will help to avoid this.
But if by any chance lightning strikes the camera, first of all it will destroy absolutely everything, and then the cable, which will be 1.5 mm copper, will never be able to withstand such a large amount of energy.

What I have told you before in other messages about the installation of the earth wire in the houses here in Spain, is that in all the houses there is a hidden iron stake where the yellow/green wire of all the electricity boxes of the house go there in case there is any electricity leakage, that yellow/green wire does not carry any electricity, it is only passive and is waiting for any error in the installation to pick up that electricity and cancel it.

That's why I meant that this third yellow/green wire from the camera would also have to be connected there, in case there is any static electricity from the camera's rotation, or if there is a bad internal connection in the future.