choosing nvr and storage

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi

i just wanted to know what's the best way to calculate which nvr is needed and also the amount of storage that is needed. i've had a look at some of the calculators but don't really understand it.

for example, if i want to install 12 4mp hikvision cameras, would a 16 channel nvr be suitable? also what frame rate is recommended and compression settings.

i did do a search on the forum but didn't find anything suitable

many thanks

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The settings varies to your individual needs, min you want really is 15fps or you'll notice the timelapse effect, yes a ds-7616ni/xx would do the job for 12 4mp cams, but before you jump in on the 4mp cams, look at where you wish to place them.
If your using them outside with a small size lens you will see a lot of barrelling in the picture and of a night time they are not as clear as a 2mp camera.
So I would recommend a little time spent with design will save you money and stress to get the best from your system.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The settings varies to your individual needs, min you want really is 15fps or you'll notice the timelapse effect, yes a ds-7616ni/xx would do the job for 12 4mp cams, but before you jump in on the 4mp cams, look at where you wish to place them.
If your using them outside with a small size lens you will see a lot of barrelling in the picture and of a night time they are not as clear as a 2mp camera.
So I would recommend a little time spent with design will save you money and stress to get the best from your system.
thanks for your message. do you have any resources that i can use/read to help with designing a system?
also what is barrelling?

thanks

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With the more mp cameras the image start to curl on the sides not really nice to look at, this is called barrelling.

If you do a simple design I'll take a look and make a few pointers if that helps.