Choosing PC Case for Multiple HDD ?

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wanted to get general opinion here we are in 2020. What pre build if any would you guys pick say for blueiris PC in case prespective for say a i9 9900k ? Specially when you know you are gonna say put 5-10 Hard drives 3.5 inch. If there is no pre build what cases would you recommend ? Thank you !
I use a Fractal Design Define R5 case that can house 8x 3.5 HDDs, & 2 bays for DVD-ROM, plus some two SSD. I like these Fractal Design Define PC cases as they are built like a tank and provide excellent noise reduction. Don't forget that the number of HDDs you can put into a PC case not only depends on how much SATA ports available on your motherboard, but also the capacity of your PSU. I'd rather go with larger capacity dirves than go with more drives. I used to used 4x 4TB drives, but I recently upgrade them to 4x 8TB drives and double capacity of the system. Recently, there are 10TB and 12TB drives available on the market and that provides excellent choices for large capacity systems.
Cheers.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I did take lot of consideration whether I should do drives a consideration more or cooling and sort of that stuff since I am going with 3990x processor. Finally I picked the case and got it today.. still in the process on getting more parts :D

Picked the Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL ROG certified
IMG_8543.jpg

Also got the Corsair AX1600i power supply

2020-03-05 17_01_19-IMG_8548.jpg

Reaction score
I wouldn't write off a NAS setup for clip storage. Darn things can do 10 gb connections and also aggravate 2 x gigabit connections, expandable bays, raid, backups, plex server, etc. I'm currently running 16 cams to my NAS (1700mps I believe?) on a single gigabit connection to my 8TB WD blue with no problems. (well... I do have a 3-5 second display to refresh the list of total clips...but whoopie do). I have the Synology DS718+ 2 bay. 1 bay is for general file duties, 2nd bay is the 8TB WD. Am thinking of getting the expansion box.
But if you totally want to go HAM, I have the ThermalTake Armor LCS for my personal main gaming PC. 7-10 bays in the front, liquid cooling, bleh bleh bleh. Lian and ThermalTake are nearly identical for their massive bay storage and liquid cooling capabilities.

Last edited: