Choppy video blur

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The BI clip is losing frames, the VLC clip has lost none. This causes a stutter.
The BI clip is using about twice the bitrate of the VLC clip.
Ok thanks, is there a cure?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Good observation by AlastairStevenson. I hadn't watched both clips and so noticed it wasn't universal. The cure is to find where the system is being bottlenecked.

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good observation by AlastairStevenson. I hadn't watched both clips and so noticed it wasn't universal. The cure is to find where the system is being bottlenecked.
Difficult to find.
it's a gigabit network, works on VLC and on an RTSP app on phone but stuttering in BI, lower bitrate/FPS/resolution makes no difference.

Just appears to be BI that's not playing well

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I've gone back and read the thread though in detail, previously I just skimmed a few posts - I rarely have time to read in detail. It doesn't sound like any issue with your pc or specs, especially as you've monitored your system resources which are fine, and your pc is so cutting edge.

There's an updated version of BI available 4.6.4.8, might be worth a try as there's a possibility there could have been a bug in 4.6.4.6.

Also, if nothing else, it might solve an issue with the current drivers or software installation as Fenderman suggested.

Personally, I'd do a clean installation. If there are drivers, delete them as well as the program. You could contact support to see if there's a clean uninstallation tool available. Failing that, just delete everything you can that's related to the current version, drivers, software, folders etc, then start afresh with 4.6.4.8 and see how it pans out. If you have a licence file, just remember to ensure you have a copy before deleting the containing folder.

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you, 4.6.4.8 was pushed to it today, made no difference.

Have tried a reinstall but will try a whole system format and start again if I get time at the weekend.

Thank you and thanks for the licence saving tip

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just out of interest, what are you saving the video to that you're streaming from, a local hard drive?

Also, if you want to rule out any other pc issue, if you have a video editing program, create a video file of a similar size and bit rate to the streamed version and try playing that back and see if it stutters. You can try other media players such as the windows one as well as VLC - VLC isn't always the best choice for this type of thing as it pretty much plays anything. If the clip you create doesn't stutter, it pretty much rules out all pc resources and points the finger back at BI (assuming the video is saved to a local hard drive connected via a fast connection eg SATA).

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just out of interest, what are you saving the video to that you're streaming from, a local hard drive?

Also, if you want to rule out any other pc issue, if you have a video editing program, create a video file of a similar size and bit rate to the streamed version and try playing that back and see if it stutters. You can try other media players such as the windows one as well as VLC - VLC isn't always the best choice for this type of thing as it pretty much plays anything. If the clip you create doesn't stutter, it pretty much rules out all pc resources and points the finger back at BI (assuming the video is saved to a local hard drive connected via a fast connection eg SATA).
Never get any stuttering from any other player or file and saving to a 2tb WD black but have tried saving to an SSD with no difference.

Will create a video and try but sure it's a BI issue with these cameras

Thanks

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds very much like it then. Should be no issues streaming from a local hard drive, even non SSD. Try contacting BI support.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but sure it's a BI issue with these cameras
Does this mean that you now think the cameras are OK and that the cause of the problem is further down the chain?
Out of interest - does the camera web GUI have a facility to record live video to a file?

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does this mean that you now think the cameras are OK and that the cause of the problem is further down the chain?
Out of interest - does the camera web GUI have a facility to record live video to a file?
I'm thinking this as it's much better in VLC, I've not noticed. Will take a look

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just an update, bi updated to 4.6.4.11 and this has made a significant improvement.

BPet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just had the same issue and thought I would post in case others had as well. After spending an hour reading posts and making changes...turns out, there was no issue at all - I access my server that hosts Blue Iris with Secure VNC. Well, I was on my laptop and I thought I would access the PC in the office via Secure VNC and then the PC in the office was accessing the server that hosts Blue Iris - so basically a VNC session within a VNC session - I guess that data could not be sent fast enough and so when viewing on the Laptop, the video was choppy. When I went back to the PC in my home office, and looked at that single VNC session to the server, video was perfectly smooth.