Choppy video blur

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I needed to setup some cameras urgently but as funds didn't allow it at this time I purchased a cheap IP camera as a start. Obviously it's not brilliant bit what annoys me is how choppy the stream is, passing traffic just jerk past no matter what settings I use, low fps or high, low bitrate or high. This is in blue iris and in the browser player.

I complained to the supplier and they sent me another one, still the same so they sent me another which was also the same so yet again they sent another. I've now got 4 of them.

Watching the stream the image blurs slightly every second, increasing the I frame above the fps increases the gap between it happening.

They are connected via a Poe switch although I've tried with adaptor and it makes no difference.

Is this normal behaviour?

Many thanks for any help

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I needed to setup some cameras urgently but as funds didn't allow it at this time I purchased a cheap IP camera as a start. Obviously it's not brilliant bit what annoys me is how choppy the stream is, passing traffic just jerk past no matter what settings I use, low fps or high, low bitrate or high. This is in blue iris and in the browser player.

I complained to the supplier and they sent me another one, still the same so they sent me another which was also the same so yet again they sent another. I've now got 4 of them.

Watching the stream the image blurs slightly every second, increasing the I frame above the fps increases the gap between it happening.

They are connected via a Poe switch although I've tried with adaptor and it makes no difference.

Is this normal behaviour?

Many thanks for any help
Welcome Meno,

You want to see if you can reduce the exposure time / increase the shutter speed, on some cameras you can do this.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you, I don't see anything in the GUI for these settings, would I need to use a different tool?
The seller tells me it should be smooth at over 15fps bit even at 1fps it jerks like occasionally there is an extra frame so traffic moves like

Code:
-   -   -   - -   -    -   - -   -   -
I must be missing something?

Thanks again

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, I don't see anything in the GUI for these settings, would I need to use a different tool?
The seller tells me it should be smooth at over 15fps bit even at 1fps it jerks like occasionally there is an extra frame so traffic moves like

Code:
-   -   -   - -   -    -   - -   -   -
I must be missing something?

Thanks again
HI Meno,

I do not know your camera, so you will have to try to determine how you can fix this.

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's x3 SV3C 1080p POE Bullet and x1 Dome

They still say they should be smooth but I just can't get them smooth not even in lowest settings on sub stream.

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When you view the video in the Blue Iris console with Options > Cameras > Limit live preview rate disabled, it should be the best quality and smoothness possible (or when you view a recording that was saved with Direct to disk enabled). Viewing through Blue Iris's web interface introduces an additional layer of compression and can mess up both the frame rate and the image quality somewhat.

A common problem is for iframes to be encoded at too low of quality compared to all the other frames, so that each iframe causes an instantaneous loss of quality. When this happens, the quality tends to smoothly improve for several frames afterward, and eventually the next iframe knocks quality back down again. This is a sign of a poorly-tuned encoder and there isn't much you can do about it because you simply don't have that level of control over the encoder. Increasing the iframe interval makes it happen less often (but makes direct to disk recording less precise about its start time). Increasing bit rate and/or reducing frame rate often helps but is not a perfect solution.

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you view the video in the Blue Iris console with Options > Cameras > Limit live preview rate disabled, it should be the best quality and smoothness possible (or when you view a recording that was saved with Direct to disk enabled). Viewing through Blue Iris's web interface introduces an additional layer of compression and can mess up both the frame rate and the image quality somewhat.

A common problem is for iframes to be encoded at too low of quality compared to all the other frames, so that each iframe causes an instantaneous loss of quality. When this happens, the quality tends to smoothly improve for several frames afterward, and eventually the next iframe knocks quality back down again. This is a sign of a poorly-tuned encoder and there isn't much you can do about it because you simply don't have that level of control over the encoder. Increasing the iframe interval makes it happen less often (but makes direct to disk recording less precise about its start time). Increasing bit rate and/or reducing frame rate often helps but is not a perfect solution.
Thanks, I have limit preview disabled and direct to disk enabled. No combination of bitrate and FPS make any difference.

Just poor quality cameras I suppose.

I ideally need at least one that is smooth so any recommendations for the lowest cost camera that is smooth, thank you.

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It won't actually be positioned here, this was just testing. It will be capturing vehicles driving along a private road. Even people walking past is choppy.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It won't actually be positioned here, this was just testing. It will be capturing vehicles driving along a private road. Even people walking past is choppy.
What model do you have?
What is the frame rate set to?

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What model do you have?
What is the frame rate set to?
1080p Poe Bullet

I've tried from 5fps to 25fps, makes no difference.
If I try 1fps I get 1 frame then a second later I get 2 quick frames then a second later one frame, even 1 FPS is inconsistent.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1080p Poe Bullet

If I try 1fps I get 1 frame then a second later I get 2 quick frames then a second later one frame, even 1 FPS is inconsistent.
Hi Meno,

Perhaps time to get one better camera then.

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Meno,

Perhaps time to get one better camera then.
Yes that's right, I take it it's trial an error as these aren't ment to be choppy according to the manufacturer.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded your sample to watch locally.
I'd say that for a 15fps frame rate that looks pretty reasonable for an IP surveillance camera. I would not have called it choppy, it's what you'd expect at 15fps.
You can't expect broadcast quality with these high-compression codecs.

What have you compared it with in order to feel it's sub-par?

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I understand you don't get broadcast quality but when someone walks past or a car drives past I expect it not to look like they keep stopping and then skip forward. I assume the manufacturer doesn't expect it as they keep sending me more.

Thanks for your help, I'll try another one.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I expect it not to look like they keep stopping and then skip forward. I assume the manufacturer doesn't expect it as they keep sending me more.
When I viewed the video I didn't see it keep stopping, I did not see it skipping.
Have you tried it on a different PC?

Stopping by how long approximately?
When I checked frame-by-frame it looked normal enough for a 15fps video file.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check your PC performance, ram usage, disk usage

Try using VLC to play the video