Choppy video playback with ZModo Cameras

davros

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm unfortunate to have a Zmodo IP camera system that has been crippled by their awful software updates, so I've been looking to see if I can use Blue Iris instead with the existing cameras (model ZP-IBT15-S)

The problem I'm having is that while the live view displays fine, playback of recordings is really choppy. The cameras are streaming in at a constant 12fps in live view. When playing a recording it looks like it is trying to show those 12 frames at 25fps, so you get half a second of double speed motion, then a half second pause etc. There is no gap at all in the motion, just lots of fast forward and pauses.

I've tried loads of different video settings which don't seem to be making a difference. I've tried disabling all but one cameras, and running on a faster i7 machine, but the result is always the same.

I guess the fact that it does it even in direct to disk mode probably means that there is a problem with the stream from the cameras? It just seems odd that Blue Iris can play the live stream fine, but not once it has been recorded to disk playback is broken.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm unfortunate to have a Zmodo IP camera system that has been crippled by their awful software updates, so I've been looking to see if I can use Blue Iris instead with the existing cameras (model ZP-IBT15-S)

The problem I'm having is that while the live view displays fine, playback of recordings is really choppy. The cameras are streaming in at a constant 12fps in live view. When playing a recording it looks like it is trying to show those 12 frames at 25fps, so you get half a second of double speed motion, then a half second pause etc. There is no gap at all in the motion, just lots of fast forward and pauses.

I've tried loads of different video settings which don't seem to be making a difference. I've tried disabling all but one cameras, and running on a faster i7 machine, but the result is always the same.

I guess the fact that it does it even in direct to disk mode probably means that there is a problem with the stream from the cameras? It just seems odd that Blue Iris can play the live stream fine, but not once it has been recorded to disk playback is broken.
Post record tab settings.

davros

n3wb
Reaction score
It's in camera properties > video tab > network ip "configure" button > Use RTSP/Stream Time Code - untick that box.

I discovered today that mine were only going choppy at night when the cameras switch into IR mode, the daylight playback was fine. That tick box sorted it though.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
afaik, it lets BI keep track of the video timing on it's own, rather than depend on the cams timing encoded in the stream.
Apparently some cams are just not very reliable at timing the stream, or there's some interaction between the cam's timing and BI's that
can cause the stutters & dropouts reported in the original post...

davros

n3wb
Reaction score
Strange thing now is that I'm getting the same stuttery playback in the Android App - but on the same phone and 4g network the clips play perfectly through the web interface. If anyone knows of a magic setting to fix the app playback please let me know!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Android app for the camera or android app for BI?

In BI app, maybe play with 'WAN encoder profile' at the bottom of Settings?...

davros

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes in the Blue Iris App - it looks like the same dodgy time code playback (no missing frames, just really choppy).

I have 3 settings in WAN Encoders - "CBR 512 kbps, gop 300, bframe 0" was the default, plus 1024 and 256 kbps versions - I got the same results with all of them, and the same results on 4G or WIFI.

I've also just tried in the main Blue Iris program "options > web server > advanced > encoder profiles > configure" where there are loads of settings to change the 3 encoder profiles, but I couldn't find anything that smoothed out the choppy playback.