Chosing NVR, does the NVR ethernet port recognize multiple cameras via switch ?

Reaction score
Hello all, I have got a "mission" from my father to "fix" the not working camera system in his house and outside. There was working system before and there are left overs I would like to reuse if I can, then somebody did another system there and again half of the stuff is missing and so on. Current state is that there are cameras and some wires in the ground but nothing else, and nothing is working...

So what we got is:

Cameras:
  • 2x (or 3x): Hikvision DS-2DE7220IW-AE (20x)
  • 2x pretty standard IP cameras with no zoom ( PoE, LAN ) ( not sure about brand )
Switch located near gate that is connecting the two standard IP cameras and one of the big Hikvision, although it appears only the two IP cameras are working actually.... either no power to the third or something other is wrong, and from that switch one CAT cable to the house.

And nothing else... I swear there was joystick and recorder before, I have no idea where it disappeared ( house was in complete renovation )

The area is pretty big but I only need to take care of cameras in front of the main entrance and cabling from there to switch ( located near ) and from there to house ( one CAT5 cable in the ground ).

There is one Hikvision rotating camera on the other side of the estate also have cable from it going to the house, but somebody had bright idea to place it in the ground next to power line and probably the cable is not shielded or something cause the picture will flicker like there is interference ( I would love to make it wireless, as I can't dig another trench for the cable ... )

I know this is not a huge issue, but I would like some options as I have just basic idea how the whole camera system is working ( I'm IT guy but haven't had opportunity to make proper IP cameras project until now ). My biggest question is how the control of camera is connected / working, I mean the joystick part to zoom and rotate the cameras that can be rotated....

Basically I need it to continually record input from at least 4 to 6 cameras ( the recorder must not make noise, this was very specific request, like no small fan rotating like crazy in the box ), control the cameras from phone if possible, show the camera output on dedicated TV ( HDMI output ), Control the cameras zoom and rotation by joystick or phone...

Budget, well I have to buy everything new than ok, i sell the cameras we have somewhere, but checking on the net the Hikvisions cameras are like 800 to 900Eur :-/ and already have like 3 of them there would be shame not to use them...

I have seen some nice looking NVR like realink RLK8-410B4, there are 8 ethernet ports on back of the box, but I'm not sure if they are dedicated like one cable to one camera, or would it work with one port to the switch and from the switch to two or 3 cameras... ?

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The ports on the back are to allow direct connection of the cameras and they support POE, so you only need to run the ethernet cable, opinions differ as to having them in the nvr or in a dedicated switch, to me it boils down to the topology you require for your needs.
I would STRONGLY suggest you go for either a Hikvision or Dahua NVR, you will get much better support on here, realink/swann units come with extra issues :(
Most NVR units are only as loud as the drive you put in ...
In most cases the PTZ functions are covered by on screen icons that align to the cameras functions.
You would probably need an 8 channel unit (at least) and all the new ones come with HDMI out.
Again most recent systems will have a dedicated application or function for remote view and management.
Stay WELL away from wireless for any unit, it introduces more crap than a shit fly with diarrhea

Hope this helps a bit?

Reaction score
The ports on the back are to allow direct connection of the cameras and they support POE, so you only need to run the ethernet cable, opinions differ as to having them in the nvr or in a dedicated switch, to me it boils down to the topology you require for your needs.
I would STRONGLY suggest you go for either a Hikvision or Dahua NVR, you will get much better support on here, realink/swann units come with extra issues :(
Most NVR units are only as loud as the drive you put in ...
In most cases the PTZ functions are covered by on screen icons that align to the cameras functions.
You would probably need an 8 channel unit (at least) and all the new ones come with HDMI out.
Again most recent systems will have a dedicated application or function for remote view and management.
Stay WELL away from wireless for any unit, it introduces more crap than a shit fly with diarrhea

Hope this helps a bit?
It kind of helped, I would rather go with something from Hikvision since the most expensive cameras are the same brand, and I was not sure what the NW connectors on the back actually are. If they are like switch or AP that you can connect multiple devices behind one port but after checking some of the Hikvision devices they had this picture:

Which is close to topology of what I can work with:

So far I did not find simple solution for mobile monitoring when away as the Hikvision NVR doesn't seems to have that function (?) :(

Shame about the WiFi issues, one of the plans was to build strong AP somewhere outside and have the cameras and NVR connect to it...

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CCA Cat5!!!! Definitely be certain not to run POE over that!

If you can replace it with solid coper Cat5e/Cat6

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Consider the switch 'internal' if that helps, but for you that would not work, the separate POE switch would work better, as for remote access, IVM4500 from app sites That is the best app for the Hikvision systems
Cam 4 should connect to any port on your network, an NVR without POE only has the one port for it to connect to the network. May need another POE switch if you ae unable to provide local power

Last edited:
Reaction score
CCA Cat5!!!! Definitely be certain not to run POE over that!

If you can replace it with solid coper Cat5e/Cat6
No no the long cat 5 is only for data, PoE is on the switch and powers the cameras "localy", looks like I should buy another AP and connect it to home wifi, than connect to that AP the NVR via LAN port ( not the 8x PoE ports ) and also to that APs another port that LAN cable from switch and in theory NVR should see the cameras on the network... (?)

Reaction score
So far it boils to this:

I can get only one cable from the switch that is near gate to home, but is it connecting to LAN port or PoE port on NVR, I went over few manuals and pretty much nobody deals with situation like this, so its confusing for me.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Connect the switch to the NVR port you have circled in blue. The other ports are used for connecting individual cameras only to the NVR.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And your switch will obviously need to be connected to your router (or to another switch that is then connected to the router.)

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
and some Poe switched do not have the Ethernet port you can plug into one of the Poe ports it will run data and power or just data just lose a port that is all

Reaction score
I figured it now, thanks all. The WAN port on NVR is for internet access ( duh :D ), and the PoE ports can be turned off and the ports than work as standard switch... all is great now :)