Christmas Sales 2021

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All---

I'm new but after an event last night I'm wanting to buy a camera ASAP. I've been researching infrastructure for some time (Blue Iris) and I have the servers/storage to support everything (POE switch, CAT6 runs to the locations etc) but cameras are still a bit of a black hole for me. I want to buy from Empiretech based on what I've seen so far on this forum and want to buy a turret camera that will be ceiling mounted in a entryway corner (9' ceiling, 6'x6' entryway looking out to the frontyard and road. I'd rather spend more on a camera and NOT be limited by saving a few bucks. With this black friday sale going on (and the limited time to select a camera) what would be a good option for purchase? I'm looking at the IPC-T5442T-ZE along with the junction box for a ceiling mount. Thank you for the advice!!
You need to decide at what distance you want coverage for. But the ZE is a great camera if you select it to cover the right distance.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose and to utilize the strength of that particular camera.

It is great that you recognize that you would be better off purchasing one good camera and slowly build up from there.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi All---

I'm new but after an event last night I'm wanting to buy a camera ASAP. I've been researching infrastructure for some time (Blue Iris) and I have the servers/storage to support everything (POE switch, CAT6 runs to the locations etc) but cameras are still a bit of a black hole for me. I want to buy from Empiretech based on what I've seen so far on this forum and want to buy a turret camera that will be ceiling mounted in a entryway corner (9' ceiling, 6'x6' entryway looking out to the frontyard and road. I'd rather spend more on a camera and NOT be limited by saving a few bucks. With this black friday sale going on (and the limited time to select a camera) what would be a good option for purchase? I'm looking at the IPC-T5442T-ZE along with the junction box for a ceiling mount. Thank you for the advice!!
Yep, I'd absolutely get a varifocal turret 5442 camera from Andy - I have nearly two dozen 5442's in different formats. The varifocals will make your setup much easier to get going faster.

Reaction score
You need to decide at what distance you want coverage for. But the ZE is a great camera if you select it to cover the right distance.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose and to utilize the strength of that particular camera.

It is great that you recognize that you would be better off purchasing one good camera and slowly build up from there.
Thank you very much!! This is extremely helpful---I sincerely appreciate it. Obviously the most important is the recognition that someone is within the entryway and being able to identify them there but also being able to see activity out on the street (maybe 40' away) would be nice to have. I have runs to other areas at the front of the house that can serve that purpose though.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
hey guys

IP cam talk shop today also have cyber discount, can buy BI and all cams there with cyber Monday price.
Check here.

Today we go on the cyber Monday discount on all products too, last day for the promotion.

Andy

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been thinking about trying out those bullet cameras because I always wanted the license plate reader. I could really make good use of that function since my house is in front of a stop sign but I'm not sure if my NVR supports that feature as I really can't find any information on this NVR. Its a NVR4208-8P-4KS2 I got from
EMPIRETECANDY on amazon.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Been thinking about trying out those bullet cameras because I always wanted the license plate reader. I could really make good use of that function since my house is in front of a stop sign but I'm not sure if my NVR supports that feature as I really can't find any information on this NVR. Its a NVR4208-8P-4KS2 I got from
EMPIRETECANDY on amazon.
That NVR doesn't support automated reading of plates, buy you could add a the Z12E camera to the NVR to manually/visually read the plates.

If you want the camera to do it, then you need an ANPR camera.

Most of us here do not have an ANPR camera, but rather dial in the Z12E to be able to read plates. We either then manually read them if needed or use a 3rd party app to read and log the plates.

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That NVR doesn't support automated reading of plates, buy you could add a the Z12E camera to the NVR to manually/visually read the plates.

If you want the camera to do it, then you need an ANPR camera.

Most of us here do not have an ANPR camera, but rather dial in the Z12E to be able to read plates. We either then manually read them if needed or use a 3rd party app to read and log the plates.
So you mean setting up the option to read plates through the camera's page? If I want that camera to only read plates and nothing else then I have to wonder how my NVR would still try to handle that camera. Like would its options get in the way or something?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1638236748066.png

You are overthinking it. The NVR simply takes whatever video you feed it. Many people use the Z12E for plate reading with an NVR just fine. Obviously with an image above it won't see people for example. So you just set it to trigger on motion and then it gives you on the timeline every time a vehicle came in.

But as you can see, you can visually read the plate, but the NVR or camera will not read and log the plate into a database or spreadsheet.

But make sure you look at the LPR subforum to know what you are getting into - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Another LPR example. It’s not so much a “plate reader” as just recording the cars going by.
IMG_9188.jpg
I highly recommend having one. If it weren’t for this capture I’d have no idea who the kid was that did some vandalism the other day. A nice clean face shot is great, and coupled with a plate number it’s gold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

View attachment 110293

You are overthinking it. The NVR simply takes whatever video you feed it. Many people use the Z12E for plate reading with an NVR just fine. Obviously with an image above it won't see people for example. So you just set it to trigger on motion and then it gives you on the timeline every time a vehicle came in.

But as you can see, you can visually read the plate, but the NVR or camera will not read and log the plate into a database or spreadsheet.

But make sure you look at the LPR subforum to know what you are getting into - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.
I see I'm probably going to wait on this then as I still have too few cameras covering my home and it seems like a lot to play around with. Also one thing you brought up

All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate.
I've noticed this over the years. Punks do what I called "Creep Driving". Where they drive really slow at night in a neighborhoods with no lights on to where you cannot hear or see them go by at night, usually they're watching homes. I've see this happen a few times around my home and is pretty common with hoodlums. Luckily its easy to catch something like this with cameras but you mentioned that the target needs head/tail lights for plates kind of worries me.

There are bright street lights near the stop sign I mentioned if that's enough.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've noticed this over the years. Punks do what I called "Creep Driving". Where they drive really slow at night in a neighborhoods with no lights on to where you cannot hear or see them go by at night, usually they're watching homes. I've see this happen a few times around my home and is pretty common with hoodlums. Luckily its easy to catch something like this with cameras but you mentioned that the target needs head/tail lights for plates kind of worries me.

There are bright street lights near the stop sign I mentioned if that's enough.
That is the beauty of this is that we rely on the reflective properties of the plate and we use the IR in the camera to bounce the IR off that reflective plate to read it - that is the only way to get plates with a fast shutter. A car can go by with no light on and you will still get the plate.

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is the beauty of this is that we rely on the reflective properties of the plate and we use the IR in the camera to bounce the IR off that reflective plate to read it - that is the only way to get plates with a fast shutter. A car can go by with no light on and you will still get the plate.
Oh neat, I'm probably going to need another thread on how to set all that up and I'm most likely not going to make it in time before these deals to end but this gave me a lot to think think about. Thanks.