Chunks of recording missing randomly

JakeD

n3wb
Reaction score
While reviewing recorded footage, I noticed that random chunks of footage are missing like they have been cut out. Sometimes it's just a few seconds and sometimes it's several minutes. I am really puzzled buy this. The following is my system setup:

Blue Iris 3.66, on a Win 7 Pro 64, i5 650 cpu @3.2 Ghz (1st gen), 4GB ram, 2 hard drives (small with the OS on it and big 4TB WD purple for BI recordings) This is a dedicated computer for BI - no other software running
5 Hikvision 3MP cameras recording at 2-4 FPS each, in full resolution, motion detection is run through BI
Entire system is wired via Cat 5, POE
RT-N66U gigabit router, Zyxel GS1900-8HP POE switch
CPU usage normally hovers 30-40%

Is BI dropping chunks because CPU is old? Is it motion detection that's messing with the recording? How would I go about troubleshooting this?

Btw. the chunks that are missing have motion in them.

Thanks,
J

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While reviewing recorded footage, I noticed that random chunks of footage are missing like they have been cut out. Sometimes it's just a few seconds and sometimes it's several minutes. I am really puzzled buy this. The following is my system setup:

Blue Iris 3.66, on a Win 7 Pro 64, i5 650 cpu @3.2 Ghz (1st gen), 4GB ram, 2 hard drives (small with the OS on it and big 4TB WD purple for BI recordings) This is a dedicated computer for BI - no other software running
5 Hikvision 3MP cameras recording at 2-4 FPS each, in full resolution, motion detection is run through BI
Entire system is wired via Cat 5, POE
RT-N66U gigabit router, Zyxel GS1900-8HP POE switch
CPU usage normally hovers 30-40%

Is BI dropping chunks because CPU is old? Is it motion detection that's messing with the recording? How would I go about troubleshooting this?

Btw. the chunks that are missing have motion in them.

Thanks,
J
You are likely not setting up the motion detection properly. Please post an image of both your MOTION and RECORD tabs.

JakeD

n3wb
Reaction score
This is from one of the cameras that I noticed the problem:motion.PNGrecord.PNG

Reactions: BV9

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is from one of the cameras that I noticed the problem:View attachment 7073View attachment 7074
Your problem is likely related to object detect reject...disable it. If you read the help file you will see why its causing your problem.
Also lower your make time to 0.8....increase your break time to 30 seconds.
In the record tab, increase your pretigger frames to double your FPS.

JakeD

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you! I adjusted it and now with 5 cameras with motion triggered and combined 16fps @ 3MP, cpu hovers around 80% - should I be worried? If I do trim/export CPU will probably hit 100% and not sure if it would stop recording.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! I adjusted it and now with 5 cameras with motion triggered and combined 16fps @ 3MP, cpu hovers around 80% - should I be worried? If I do trim/export CPU will probably hit 100% and not sure if it would stop recording.
What was it before with 5 triggered? Are you recording direct to disk?
You can also try lowering the live preview rate..blue iris options>cameras..
The cpu is old and weak so you dont have much to work with...you might see improvement when hardware acceleration is released at the end of the month..

JakeD

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update in case anyone is having a similar problem: Fenderman's solution solved the missing recordings problem but it also doubled my CPU usage and BI started crushing every couple of days. I upgraded to BI 4 but that didn't help. After putting another 4GB ram (now there is 8GB total) BI works great, CPU usage is only 50% with all 5 cams triggered. Apparently 4GB ram wasn't enough for 5 cams recording at 3MP at combined 16fps. (2-4fps per cam)