Church cameras

hogman69

n3wb
Reaction score
My church has 22 older cameras that are connected by coax. I would like to replace the cameras with Ring or Wyze cameras. How can I power the new wireless cameras using the old coax cables? Thought about useing a poe switch, then an adapter from cat5 to cable then another adapter from coax to usb. Any thoughts??

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It will be a waste of time and money. Check the new Dahua Cooper hybrid series, using your existing coax cables

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My church has 22 older cameras that are connected by coax. I would like to replace the cameras with Ring or Wyze cameras. How can I power the new wireless cameras using the old coax cables? Thought about useing a poe switch, then an adapter from cat5 to cable then another adapter from coax to usb. Any thoughts??
Welcome @hogman69

Why would you want to replace them with Ring or Wyze cameras?

If you have good cabling, you can upgrade to a newer coax camera and dvr setup.

hogman69

n3wb
Reaction score
The old dvr doesn't work so not sure how good the cameras are so maybe but new dvr that uses coax

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The old dvr doesn't work so not sure how good the cameras are so maybe but new dvr that uses coax
Hi @hogman69

If there is no functional requirement to get a Ring or Wyze cameras, I would check the cabling, and if it looks good - get a newer DVR and newer coax cameras.

That would be imho the easiest as you would not need to rerun cabling.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That many Wyze, Ring or other low end consumer grade cameras won't work using WiFi. At best you MIGHT get four to work reliably but beyond that the number of dropouts will increase very rapidly. Think of it like a room full of people, all talking at once, and you're trying to hear a single conversation. Wired is the only way to insure reliable operation.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Please put some in the confessionals and then post back any good stuff :winktongue::winktongue::winktongue:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One should never go from wired to wireless, much less for 22 cameras. None of them will work when you need them and better off with 22 old non-working existing cameras hanging on the wall as a deterrent at that point.

You have the cabling in place. Get adapters to convert them to IP if needed because you cannot run new cable.

I would take 2 working coax cameras over 12 wifi cams all day.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Please get a professional to help. Replacing the cameras with wireless is just going to be a waste of the church's resources. Do it right the first time even if it costs more money. Doing it "cheaply, and then finding out it doesn't work well and you end up replacing the system 2 or 3 times (or end up simply living with a system that doesn't work reliably) isn't being a good steward.