Cisco IPC 6930 Problem

snyvill

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I am having trouble with the cisco IP camera that I install. This is an IP PTZ camera. Sometimes when I pan and tilt the cam, the video feed becomes flashing blue and red (see video for reference )

My connection is this:

IPC 6930-ethernet cable-media converter-fiber optic cable-media converter-ethernet cable-network switch(IDF)-fiber optic cable-core switch (MDF) - PC

Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks

harrijs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am going to assume that this doesn't have a SmartNet contract associated with it. Have you checked the firmware version and/or reset to factory defaults? I have a number of Cisco IPC cameras installed, and I have had constant issues with the exterior cameras from the IPC2xxx series on. The IPC-3050's and 6400's are the only exterior camera I haven't had issues with. All of the interior cameras such as the IPC5XXX series have worked flawlessly.

The fact that you are able to access the administration page without issue tells me your connectivity is fine. The problem I see is either with the viewer or the image sensor on the camera is shot. You might also try to set the transport setting to TCP in case you are having some packet loss somewhere on your path.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If that flashing color is consistent, I would suspect it is the sensor trying to report an error state. Possibly caused by a loose connection or insufficient power?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If that flashing color is consistent, I would suspect it is the sensor trying to report an error state. Possibly caused by a loose connection or insufficient power?
Great point about the power..that would explain why its happening when using ptz...

snyvill

n3wb
Reaction score
I am going to assume that this doesn't have a SmartNet contract associated with it. Have you checked the firmware version and/or reset to factory defaults? I have a number of Cisco IPC cameras installed, and I have had constant issues with the exterior cameras from the IPC2xxx series on. The IPC-3050's and 6400's are the only exterior camera I haven't had issues with. All of the interior cameras such as the IPC5XXX series have worked flawlessly.

The fact that you are able to access the administration page without issue tells me your connectivity is fine. The problem I see is either with the viewer or the image sensor on the camera is shot. You might also try to set the transport setting to TCP in case you are having some packet loss somewhere on your path.
I already reset it to factory default and have updated the latest firmware version. Ill try to change the setting to TCP.
Thanks

snyvill

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, I have 3 units of camera with this issue. I have a total of 10 cameras installed. All the same model. I have the same brand of power supply for all the cams. Anyways, i will also test the actual output of the power supply.
Btw, i have a ups connected to the power source and the 24vac is connected to the ups.

snyvill

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: The power supply used is 24 VAC 1A. I think the ampere rating is too small for the PTZ camera, I will try to change the power supply to at least 3A.

Also, while using the same power supply. 24VAC 1A, the camera is working smoothly during night time, but during day time, the blue and red issue appears. Do you think the temperature affects it?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends... some expensive cams have fans (a.k.a. blowers) for when the temperature gets too high. If yours is one of those, then maybe the fan is failing.