Click Here to Help A Newbie Choose, NVR or PC

tone363

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I recently jumped in the camera world and ordered 4 Hikvision cams from Aliexpress, multi language versions, DS-2CD2332-I and DS-2CD3345-I to play around with. When I bought the cams I thought the PC route would be how I would go but after reading on here I am very interested in the NVR route.

So my questions for you are as far as ease of use, I am technical but my wife is not at all. I want to make sure to setup the easiest solution for a non technical person in case she needs to do anything. Which would be the easiest?

Second as far as an NVR which one or ones will work with the Hikvision cameras I bought.

Lastly any tips or lessons learned etc.

Appreciate any and all feedback in order to get this going.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I recently jumped in the camera world and ordered 4 Hikvision cams from Aliexpress, multi language versions, DS-2CD2332-I and DS-2CD3345-I to play around with. When I bought the cams I thought the PC route would be how I would go but after reading on here I am very interested in the NVR route.

So my questions for you are as far as ease of use, I am technical but my wife is not at all. I want to make sure to setup the easiest solution for a non technical person in case she needs to do anything. Which would be the easiest?

Second as far as an NVR which one or ones will work with the Hikvision cameras I bought.

Lastly any tips or lessons learned etc.

Appreciate any and all feedback in order to get this going.

Hi,

Personally the PC route running Blue Iris is the way to go for the pure flexibility. It can be a bit tricky to setup at first but reading this forum and trail and error you'll work it out in no time.
You would be looking at min spec PC of Intel i5 I believe you can purchase a Dell small form factor i5 desktop for under <$450 (fenderman, admin on this forum quite often points links or model numbers to them)
As for ease of use, not sure the wife would need to "do anything" on it apart from clear the captured motion or view the footage. This can all be done from a iPhone or Android device for ease of use.

The NVR route may be a little cheaper if you haven't already go a suitable PC but this will lack flexibility but on the plus side would remove the added cost of buying a POE switch or PSU's for the cameras as the NVR usually have built in POE switches.
http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_212_i5426.html is a 8 port NVR so you could connect your 4 cameras and have room for another 4 in the future. Also an iOS or Android app can be install for remote viewing etc.

Hope that helps

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You could just download demo of BI and test it out on a PC with one or two cams. Personally, I tried BI before didn't like it. Yes, it's very powerful piece of software, but UI was too cumbersome and hte fact that I had to have switch and full blown PC running with somewhat high spec made it unappealing. Despite limitations with NVR in terms of available features I love it. I haven't looked into that, but I think you could use NVR as expensive switch while recording in BI in case it doesn't work out.

tone363

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I actually have a PC that is an i5 so that piece would work. I am just concerned that this is our main home PC so my son plays games on it etc and the resources needed to run BI might slow it down.

So based on where I got the cameras from does it matter that they are multi language if i go the NVR route or can i just purchase for instance the NVR that was linked.

Thanks everyone

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I actually have a PC that is an i5 so that piece would work. I am just concerned that this is our main home PC so my son plays games on it etc and the resources needed to run BI might slow it down.
You should not use a pc that is used for gaming or for that matter any other purpose as a VMS..its should be dedicated. An i5-4590 haswell pc can be had for around 300.

tone363

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for this, probably makes my decision easier then and will lean more to the NVR route. Now i need to decide which one to get.