Client1.ovpn - after changing to a new broadband

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need help. I have changed from adsl to a new provider and wireless broadband and the config is a wireless router as router 1 and an asus 68u as router 2 used as a vpn server. The old openvpn connections don't work after the change and I exported a new client1.ovpn and send it to my android mobil, my ipad and tried to install it in my laptop. None of them work as before and after a lot of investigations I think I found what coursed the problem.

When I tried to load openvpn on my laptop it stopped halfways and then I could se the old ip from the adsl provider. I went back to the asus and looked for the new extern ip from the wireless router, but could not find it on any pages. Only the wan-connection ip which is 192.168.0.1. (My asus lan is 192.168.1.1). In the network map in asus I only can see 192.168.0.4 where I thought the extern ip 91.xx.xx.xx should be.

When I installed the connection between the wireless router and the asus they advised me to use automatic IP under Wan Connection type. Everything work fine but not the vpn.

They also advised me to not set the wireless router in brigde mode (as I had it before on the adsl) and think now that this can be my problem.

Anyone know? Hope and cross my fingers.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of wireless broadband do not support IVP4 address. Also wireless broadband may not support any inbound connections.

You will need to do search for work arounds and also how to deal with you internet provider.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what @SouthernYankee said.

I have AT&T wireless broadband and no public IP is available because of their carrier-grade NAT.

I haven't put in place myself yet, bit understand that I should try ngok or Hamachi for remote access.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
May be static ip?

I now have changed to bridge and it seems a bit unstable, but after a while it is stable. But of course I can't login the bridge wireless router.

And exporting a new client1.ovpn doesn't help. By some reason I got some info from the old adsl when load the client1. Se the picture.
I can't fugure out where that ip comes from.

The new wan ip is 91.xxx.xx.80 but in the internet status tabel the gateway is 91.xxx.xx.1. Normal?

How to kill the info from the old wan ip? I have double, triplechecked that I use the new client1.ovpn where the new extern ip can be seen. Look into pic2.

cliesnt.jpg

cl.jpg

Attachments

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for bothering, but I may have found the solution. It is so simple. I forgot having Client1.ovpn both in C:\program files\OpenVpn\config and in C:\users\xxxx\OpenVpn\config. The bad version was in the last one. I blame the win 10 where search for files don't work on client1.ovpn.

Now the vpn connection seems working (can see it in vpn status), but I have to test it more tomorrow.