Clip Storage

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just recently had to setup BI on a new pc and configure all my old settings on the cameras. We had an issue with a firewall for getting the app to work but fixed that, now the only other issue is, BI is only keeping a days worth of video clips. I checked in the files on the drive it is being saved to and there is only that days clips as well?

These are the settings I have setup, am I missing something?

Attachments

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your settings for your new folder are not causing them to be deleted, but your overall limits are. However, with only a 10 GB limit, your drive will be moving files around a lot. It looks like you have at least 6 cameras and only about 31 GB total allocated for all of your clips and alerts. I don't know how many megapixels your cameras are or your recording settings, but 31 GB will not usually get you very much recorded video.

Edit:
This post by @bp2008 is helpful:
HDD/SSD usage and size recommendations

Last edited:

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
S o the 10GB size is not per clip it's total clips? Where do you change the allocation for clips?

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, the Clips and archiving tab in the BI options determines the storage for all of your clips/alerts. To change the clip size, you need to change the settings in the Camera Properties, Recording tab.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My combine and cut was set on 8 hrs and 4GB, what should I set to?

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After reading some post about the combine and cut option, I am not understanding why this would limit my clips to only being saved for a day. The combine and cut option just determines the size of the clip file correct?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After reading some post about the combine and cut option, I am not understanding why this would limit my clips to only being saved for a day. The combine and cut option just determines the size of the clip file correct?
That is not your issue your issue is you've limited your new folder to 10gb... and most likely you've left the store folder at the defaults of 20 Gb

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As fenderman said, your BI is setup to start deleting your files once you hit your storage 31 GB limit. If you want to keep them longer, you need to increase the limits on your new and/or storage folders in the clips and archiving options. Try to give it about 95% or so of your hard drive space if you have a dedicated hard drive and then leave the "limit clip age" box un-checked.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, changed both, New- 580 and Stored- 1240 with the limit clip age box unchecked. I am saving everything on a C: drive and I read that this is not ideal, the only other drive i have is a D: labeled as a recovery drive and it shows that most of the storage is already used up. I'm assuming to save the clips on another drive I would have to purchase and install something, if I am understanding what a "drive" is.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Your D drive will just be another partition (virtual drive, basically) on the same physical device probably. I imagine it is pretty small, like 10 GB or less.

There is no compelling reason I can think of to use both New and Stored folders if you only have one drive. I just allocate all the space to New and have things get deleted out of there when it is full, and not use Stored at all.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I switched the options to transfer files from new to stored to just delete out of the new folder. Any reason why the allocated space allowed is less when I am just using the new folder? I can allocate only about 700 to the new folder but, when I was using the new and stored folders my combined allocated space was around 1800

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I switched the options to transfer files from new to stored to just delete out of the new folder. Any reason why the allocated space allowed is less when I am just using the new folder? I can allocate only about 700 to the new folder but, when I was using the new and stored folders my combined allocated space was around 1800
Blue iris does not limit space you can allocate...

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes but it shows an over allocation or status of storage shows an overage when I raise the clip limit.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes but it shows an over allocation or status of storage shows an overage when I raise the clip limit.
that is because you overallocated or failed to repair the database after moving/deleting files.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"failed to repair database" what does this means, is that a BI thing or PC

But still why is there such a difference in the two ways?

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The settings are made so you can store and track your clips in many ways. Your setup is a simple one. All you need to do is move all of the files that are already in your storage folder (probably C:/BlueIris/Storage) to your new folder. Allocate as much space as you want (that exists on your hard drive) to the new folder, and then in the BI status window, at the bottom of the Clip Storage tab, hit the Repair DB button.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When I move clips I just have BI do it. Tell it to move clips from Stored to new after 1 day or 1 GB.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dont think I will have much to move either way because they were being deleted after 1 day. On the mobile app, when you look at old clips, is this just in the new folder or does it see the stored folder as well?

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any of you know a reason I can not connect on the app since I did the update this morning? Haven't been able to get back to the office where the PC is yet to check yet.