Clips and archiving best practice?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Per blue Iris recommendation, the path to the DB should be on the OS drive or the fastest drive, in my case it's my OS drive with an SSD: this is how I have it set up now, is this how it should be?

Note D: drive is a 4Tb drive

DB path = C:\BlueIris\DB
New= D:\BlueIris\New
  • Move to folder "stored"
  • Limit size 50GB
  • Limit Clip age 1 day
Stored = D:\BlueIris\Stored
  • Limit 3500Gb
  • No age limit
  • Delete
So the way it is now, new recordings are stored on the C drive, if it reaches 50Gb or is a day old, it'll be moved to the "Stored" folder in the D:BlueIris\Stored

Once the D:\ drive reaches 3500GB it will start deleting oldest first?

Is that the correct setup?

I also have a NAS with 2Tb allocated to BI that I'd want to utilize in case someone breaks in and take the BI machine, I'd still like to have some of the recording retain. What's the best approach for this?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have similar questions and a similar storage setup. The multitude of storage options are great, but a little daunting to deploy for every camera and the scheduler is not intuitive. In short, I am playing with settings but far from an optimized setup.

My use case is not continuous 24/7 recording but a combo of triggered alerts and sensor-driven (dusk till dawn, away from home) recording. Storage is cheap though, should I just Store everything for a month just in case?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
DB path = C:\BlueIris\DB....Yes
New= D:\BlueIris\New......Yes
  • Move to folder "stored" >>>>>>No need to be moving with one drive, put it all in D:\BlueIris\New
  • Limit size 3550GB<<<<<<<<
  • Limit Clip age 1 day>>>Uncheck this, use size, not age.
Moving only comes into play if you want to move it over to another drive or NAS.

See here: Blue Iris Video Tutorials and here: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have similar questions and a similar storage setup. The multitude of storage options are great, but a little daunting to deploy for every camera and the scheduler is not intuitive. In short, I am playing with settings but far from an optimized setup.

My use case is not continuous 24/7 recording but a combo of triggered alerts and sensor-driven (dusk till dawn, away from home) recording. Storage is cheap though, should I just Store everything for a month just in case?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
No need to setup for each cam, it's global. Be sure to read the BI help file.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would there be any reason why I'd want the "new" to go to the C: drive as well then move to the D:\Stored folder?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
moving uses CPU when you do not need to. Also you are doing a number of writes to SSD, shorting it life.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it, so just leave everything in the New folder and ignore the stored folder all together.

Is there a way to have it simultaenously upload everything it records to the FTP?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If you have two drives what’s the best practice to utilize the full space and minimize CPU use? I thought I read somewhere to use the AUX options to save half the cameras to one drive and half to the other. I run 24/7 and want to maximize retention length.

Eventually I’m going to replace my secondary HDD with a much larger one. Is there a performance issue with dumping all new recordings to a secondary drive (separate from the OS drive)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As stated above, OS and DB on C: all video on D:
If you also had an E: drive, then you could split up the cams to d and e.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
As stated above, OS and DB on C: all video on D:
If you also had an E: drive, then you could split up the cams to d and e.
Thanks for the clarification!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk