Clips and Archiving: how to best use the folder structure

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m setting up a new PC for 24/7 recording and was hoping to get some input on the “Clips and Archiving” settings.

This PC will have 2 internal hard drives, one 10TB and one 4TB (the drives are basically identical, although the larger one has a larger cache…a very minor factor, I am told). My thinking is that I’ll put the “New” folder on the 10TB and the “Stored” folder on the 4TB. Or should I do the opposite? Is there some reason one folder is more suited to a certain drive?

Just to get at my point, here’s a possibly silly question: Let’s imagine a BI user who stores all video on a single large internal hard drive. Why would this person use any folder other than “New”? Considering that the BI database will keep everything organized, it seems logical to just write everything to one giant folder and then have BI delete data when the size limit is hit. In this example, there would be no need for a “Stored” folder or any other folder. Am I missing something?

Probably there are lots of power users on this forum with far more clever setups and I’d love to hear about them, so that I might incorporate certain ideas.

Thanks all!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m setting up a new PC for 24/7 recording and was hoping to get some input on the “Clips and Archiving” settings.

This PC will have 2 internal hard drives, one 10TB and one 4TB (the drives are basically identical, although the larger one has a larger cache…a very minor factor, I am told). My thinking is that I’ll put the “New” folder on the 10TB and the “Stored” folder on the 4TB. Or should I do the opposite? Is there some reason one folder is more suited to a certain drive?

Just to get at my point, here’s a possibly silly question: Let’s imagine a BI user who stores all video on a single large internal hard drive. Why would this person use any folder other than “New”? Considering that the BI database will keep everything organized, it seems logical to just write everything to one giant folder and then have BI delete data when the size limit is hit. In this example, there would be no need for a “Stored” folder or any other folder. Am I missing something?

Probably there are lots of power users on this forum with far more clever setups and I’d love to hear about them, so that I might incorporate certain ideas.

Thanks all!
you are correct..when using a single drive one folder is all that is needed.
in your case i would write some cams to the 10 and some to the 4 this way you never need waste processing power or disk i/o transferring from one disk to the other...

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
in your case i would write some cams to the 10 and some to the 4 this way you never need waste processing power or disk i/o transferring from one disk to the other...
Thanks, @fenderman. That seems like a great idea to conserve system resources. I guess I’ll have to figure out the storage requirements of each camera, and then allocate proportionately across the hard drives.

Although I can easily rename folders in Windows, it does not appear that BI allows renaming of its default location names (New, Stored, Alerts, etc.)

Can I simply not use “New” & “Stored”? And instead map “Aux1” to a folder on the 10TB and “Aux2” to a folder on the 4TB? The help file says you “must specify the first three” but I’m not sure exactly what is meant by that.

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just learned that my 10TB drive will not arrive until next week. I’d like to get the system online today with the 4TB only (which is already in the PC and ready to go).

If I start today with the 4TB drive, and then add the 10TB drive next week, would this mess up the BI database or create other headaches? Would I need to repair/regenerate the database after adding the 10TB?

Thanks!

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Although I've had BI for a while now, I really haven't messed with this function much. When I swapped HDD, I simply created a new db since there wasn't a need to use the old. Any important clips should be exported anyhow.

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman, if the Stored folder is on another HDD, will the db and clip viewer show the clips correctly after the system moves the files? Assuming it will or it wouldn't be a feature, but wanted to make sure before I add larger HDD for longer storage. When I had 8 cameras recording 24/7, I would get about 1 week of storage. I've just added another 24/7 camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, if the Stored folder is on another HDD, will the db and clip viewer show the clips correctly after the system moves the files? Assuming it will or it wouldn't be a feature, but wanted to make sure before I add larger HDD for longer storage. When I had 8 cameras recording 24/7, I would get about 1 week of storage. I've just added another 24/7 camera.
Yes.

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm still wrapping my head around this.

What is the function of the New and Stored folders? I could not seem to figure it out in the help file. Is the "New folder" where when a file starts to record it's in the "buffer" and once finished it's exported or copied over to the final resting location?

Then there is the option: "Move to folder: " What is the purpose of that?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are a typical home owner using this, the New folder is all you need to use. Moving would be used to move to other hard drives, say for very long retention times.

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are a typical home owner using this, the New folder is all you need to use. Moving would be used to move to other hard drives, say for very long retention times.
So when I define the New and Stored, would I select the "Do not monitor free space..." option and select the "Delete" option? I'm having all video clips stored on the 4TB purple and not the small SSD which the OS and BI run on.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So when I define the New and Stored, would I select the "Do not monitor free space..." option and select the "Delete" option? I'm having all video clips stored on the 4TB purple and not the small SSD which the OS and BI run on.
do not monitor is only for some NAS

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right now I'm just using the New folder since I only have one 3TB HDD. When I add another, I plan to keep the New folder on the Western Digital Purple drive and the Stored folder on a larger "storage" drive.

What I'm not sure about is if I'm recording 24/7 to the New folder, will it continuously move files over to the Stored folder when it reaches max capacity?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now I'm just using the New folder since I only have one 3TB HDD. When I add another, I plan to keep the New folder on the Western Digital Purple drive and the Stored folder on a larger "storage" drive.

What I'm not sure about is if I'm recording 24/7 to the New folder, will it continuously move files over to the Stored folder when it reaches max capacity?
A better more efficient solution is to split cameras to each drive

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahh, that makes sense and seems easier to setup and manage. Thanks sir
I think it's easier to manage everything going to one drive. I use SSDs for my main and secondary drives, so transferring isn't an issue since the SSDs exceed 4Gb/s transfer rates.. So all 15 cameras go to the new folder in my 1TB SSD which also has the OS, clips etc. Then they get pushed to a 500GB SSD for a secondary drive when the new folder reaches the capacity I have set. And then I have a platter drive used as a tertiary drive where the files get pushed when the second SSD reaches a set point. So essentially all folders are full. But as things age, they get pushed between the three drives. I prefer that over having different cameras stored on different drives.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's easier to manage everything going to one drive. I use SSDs for my main and secondary drives, so transferring isn't an issue since the SSDs exceed 4Gb/s transfer rates.. So all 15 cameras go to the new folder in my 1TB SSD which also has the OS, clips etc. Then they get pushed to a 500GB SSD for a secondary drive when the new folder reaches the capacity I have set. And then I have a platter drive used as a tertiary drive where the files get pushed when the second SSD reaches a set point. So essentially all folders are full. But as things age, they get pushed between the three drives. I prefer that over having different cameras stored on different drives.
actually nothing has to be managed..that is what blue iris is for...set it an forget it...