Clips and archiving

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I'm having a brain fart.

I currently have the default settings of 10gb and limit to 7 days for new and then 20gb for stored.

However blue Iris keeps creating new clips after 3.9gb and a few times after less. What's going on?

I'm running version 5.2.9.23 with two Dahua cameras and win 10 2004. OS and BI are on SSD and clips are saved to 4tb wd purple.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a reason for using new and stored and limiting them to such small sizes?

Just allocate the available space on the 4Tb drive minus around 10%, to either New or Stored, set which ever you don’t use to 0. Untick the option to limit by age and let BI manage the clips.

Then set your cams to record to the allocated space.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a reason for using new and stored and limiting them to such small sizes?

Just allocate the available space on the 4Tb drive minus around 10%, to either New or Stored, set which ever you don’t use to 0. Untick the option to limit by age and let BI manage the clips.

Then set your cams to record to the allocated space.

I read it as well it runs out of space it just deletes entire clips, so if my clips are 3tb it deletes the entire 3tb?

That could be a misinterpretation on my part.

But that doesn't explain why it was limiting then to 3.9gb.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I read it as well it runs out of space it just deletes entire clips, so if my clips are 3tb it deletes the entire 3tb?

That could be a misinterpretation on my part.

But that doesn't explain why it was limiting then to 3.9gb.
see combine or cut in the record tab

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
see combing or cut in the record tab
That was it!

Thanks!

Regarding the limit clip size under clips and archiving. If I only do new and I limit clip size to 3tb, is it going to record until it's 3tb and then delete the entire clip?

Reaction score
is it going to record until it's 3tb and then delete the entire clip?
No. Not until space is needed.

Do as @IAmATeaf stated. Set Stored to 0. Set New Limit size = 3600 GB and Delete. Set camera record tab, options Combine or cut video the GB value you decide, 1-4 GB. As long as you set the New Limit size that way, BI will delete the oldest files in New as space is needed.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
see combing or cut in the record tab
That was it!

Thanks!
No. Not until space is needed.

Do as @IAmATeaf stated. Set Stored to 0. Set New Limit size = 3600 GB and Delete. Set camera record tab, options Combine or cut video the GB value you decide, 1-4 GB. As long as you set the New Limit size that way, BI will delete the oldest files in New as space is needed.
Ah so that's how it works

Any reason not to do 168 hour long clips?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The clips and archiving is for storage of all the clips.
The clip size is determined by the combine or cut in the record tab
Long clip will not play very well, they will not export , and will kill your network if you try to move them.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

======================================

Reaction score
Any reason not to do 168 hour long clips?
I think Win10 has a max file size limitation. Barring that, I suppose you could, but why would you want to? That would mean the file would be huge and when space was needed that entire file would get canned. Most folks run at 1GB. Smaller file sizes are easier to manipulate, copy, move to another drive if you need to keep it.

So I have three 10TB HDDs with 18 cams recording spread out among those drives. I record 24/7 and get about 30 days of recording stored. I am using 4GB for combine/cut. That is roughly 90 minutes of video for the average 2MP cam at 15FPS that I have. So when BI needs space and deletes a file, I am only loosing 90 minutes of data that is 30 days old. If the file was huge, like your 168 hour file, I would loose a full seven days of video at once.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got an awful lot of learning to do so I can pay back what I've already taken from the forum.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I set my clip size to 1gb, makes then a more manageable size especially if you need to archive one or a few of the clip files.

Imagine your setting of 10gb, in order to save that unaltered clip if you needed to you would have to backup the entire clip. Yes I know a bit of the clip can be exported to something much smaller. Also when it comes to BI managing the space, when it needs to free up space it will have to delete a 10gb file, so a lot of hours gone, with 1gb it can deleted these smaller files as it needs to.

Well the above is the logic I used for my setup