Clips are huge

merkaba

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I can't seem to figure out why my "clips" don't seem like they ever stop. They all just keep recording typically for an hour at least and end up producing huge files that show up in the calendar. These are completely useless because 99% of the clip is of nothing. I must be doing something really dumb. The "Alerts" seem do be doing their job, but alerts don't show up in the calendar on the phone. I do use Sentry and I know I have some pretty sensitive settings, but that's on purpose. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have pictures of all of my settings below as an example. As you can see in the "All Clips" screenshot they all just stay red like they are active, when in reality nothing at all is happening and nothing should be re-triggering it.

FYI: I did put my motion sensor settings back up to default min object size and min contrast just to prove that it still does it...that did not seem to be causing the issue.

motion.JPGrecord.JPGtrigger.JPGalerts.JPGvideo.JPGvideo2.JPGclips.JPGalerts_list.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ones in red are the actual BVR file and that is not the alert clips. Your alert clips are the bottom one showing times from 5 seconds to 1min.

You have it set to cut and combine every 4 hours, so the most recent will be red meaning they are ready to record more until the 4 hour clip is obtained, then it saves and starts another BVR and combines your clips into one file for the 4 hours time duration.

But you are also recording continuous, so in that case BVR will be no motion 99% of the time.

if you only want triggered, then you need to change it from continuous to triggered in the Record tab.

merkaba

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The ones in red are the actual BVR file and that is not the alert clips. Your alert clips are the bottom one showing times from 5 seconds to 1min.

You have it set to cut and combine every 4 hours, so the most recent will be red meaning they are ready to record more until the 4 hour clip is obtained, then it saves and starts another BVR and combines your clips into one file for the 4 hours time duration.

But you are also recording continuous, so in that case BVR will be no motion 99% of the time.

if you only want triggered, then you need to change it from continuous to triggered in the Record tab.
So if i record continuously there is no way to only get appropriate clips in the calendar? It's always only going to show the full combine/cut video length? That seems like an oversight or something if that's the case?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You want to look at just the alerts - lightning bolt, Not look at all clips as the all clips are the triggers, pictures, BVR files or anything else you have it recording.

merkaba

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You want to look at just the alerts - lightning bolt, Not look at all clips as the all clips are the triggers, pictures, BVR files or anything else you have it recording.
Gotcha...that makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are welcome. It can get confusing sometimes if you are not in it everyday and try to look at something.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is by design. The alerts are not clips, they are pointers to where the action is in the BVR clip. Most people record continuously as disk is cheap. Also Because sometimes the most import action is not part of the motion trigger, someone walking down street across the street, a neighbor pulling out of his driveway, a door checker or a mailbox checker on the edge of the video.

Like in your video motion screen shot, someone walks to the edge of the driveway and throws a rock through the truck window. You would not have an alert or any video if you were not recording continuously.

It is possible to use clone cameras in BI one recording motion alerts only and one recording continuously with out any motion processing.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.

Last edited:

merkaba

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is by design. The alerts are not clips, they are pointers to where the action is in the BVR clip. Most people record continuously as disk is cheap. Also Because sometimes the most import action is not part of the motion trigger, someone walking down street across the street, a neighbor pulling out of his driveway, a door checker or a mailbox checker on the edge of the video.

Like in your video motion screen shot, someone walks to the edge of the driveway and throws a rock through the truck window. You would not have an alert or any video if you were not recording continuously.

It is possible to use clone cameras in BI one recording motion alerts only and one recording continuously with out any motion processing.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.
This is very useful, thanks so much!