Cloud Backup for Motion Clips

HomeAuto87

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to configure a native plugin to connect to AWS or Azure storage to upload just the clips when motion is detected? I saw a number of FTP bridge options, but was wondering how extensible it would be for a direct connection.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Common man, you can't refute offsite storage/backups as part of an overall strategy.
Its a "strategy" for suckers who fall for the companies pushing it. They push it because its the only way to guarantee RMR. Its actually a very silly concept. Put SD cards in your cameras. If you are further paranoid hide a nas or cheap NVR as recommended. You can take this paranoia all the way - what happens if someone cuts your cable line? lte backup?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Most people don't connect to Azure or AWS or anything. Most modern IP cameras come with MicroSD input where people use MicroSD cards to backup. Some people have NAS' as well, but most just use MicroSD cards for backup. Believe it or not cloud backup is not a standard thing with real IP cameras.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
as a fail safe, in addition to having a security alarm system and my BI machine hidden, I have BI configured to send a snapshot of the motion (on interior cameras that enable when my wife and I both leave the house) to OneDrive. I also have Sighthound send a snapshot of the motion event to OneDrive for my exterior cameras. I doubt that someone that broke in will waste time searching for a computer/NAS while the alarm system is going off. It takes seconds to upload the image to OneDrive. I chose OneDrive because it is a part of my Office 365 subscription, so no added cost.

HomeAuto87

n3wb
Reaction score
Its a "strategy" for suckers who fall for the companies pushing it.
I'm a little confused, from one angle most things on this site prepare you for the worst outcomes with strong recommendations for multiple cameras covering all possible entry ways, detailed specs on how to configure cameras, recommendations for dedicated hardware to run BI, and everything else that I am thoroughly impressed with and see how much there is to learn.

In other cases like this thread it seems like saving a few dollars outweighs everything else. Offsite backups are ingrained in every single IT DR Strategy, with the resilience and budget determined by RPO and RTO. Given this is a home system in a middle class neighborhood, I don't see the need to store 100% of everything in an offsite location. That being said, if there is activity detected, it's not a bad idea to keep a copy offsite. Comparing a co-lo to the cloud, the cloud is much cheaper for periodic storage as opposed to dedicated hardware.

Most modern IP cameras come with MicroSD input where people use MicroSD cards to backup.
I fully understand, but it doesn't cover as many scenarios as an offsite backup. For example, if someone were to set my house on fire, there's a good chance the MicroSDs won't be recoverable. Given the layout of my to-be home, there also isn't a great place to hide the BI server that is also well ventilated.

I have BI configured to send a snapshot of the motion (on interior cameras that enable when my wife and I both leave the house) to OneDrive
I like this idea, is there any option for BI to send clips instead of snapshots to a folder (that I can sync with OneDrive either directly or with folder redirection)?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused, from one angle most things on this site prepare you for the worst outcomes with strong recommendations for multiple cameras covering all possible entry ways, detailed specs on how to configure cameras, recommendations for dedicated hardware to run BI, and everything else that I am thoroughly impressed with and see how much there is to learn.

In other cases like this thread it seems like saving a few dollars outweighs everything else. Offsite backups are ingrained in every single IT DR Strategy, with the resilience and budget determined by RPO and RTO. Given this is a home system in a middle class neighborhood, I don't see the need to store 100% of everything in an offsite location. That being said, if there is activity detected, it's not a bad idea to keep a copy offsite. Comparing a co-lo to the cloud, the cloud is much cheaper for periodic storage as opposed to dedicated hardware.

I fully understand, but it doesn't cover as many scenarios as an offsite backup. For example, if someone were to set my house on fire, there's a good chance the MicroSDs won't be recoverable. Given the layout of my to-be home, there also isn't a great place to hide the BI server that is also well ventilated.

I like this idea, is there any option for BI to send clips instead of snapshots to a folder (that I can sync with OneDrive either directly or with folder redirection)?
It's not about saving a few dollars, quite honestly there's not a great solution or high demand for it. Your best bet is to use the FTP backup mentioned here - Blue Iris Cloud and Local Backup Plans - Best Practices

You can use FTP, OneDrive, DropBox, etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

There is a huge difference between having camera coverage so you actually capture what occurs and utilizing useless backup strategies.
This site is all about practical advice. The reason why offiline backups are pushed is because THEY want to make money. Its all about RMR.
There is a big difference between backing up important data and video surveillance. A house fire or flood for example can destroy your local data - though rare it happens. Also, for the backup to be useful, you dont need uptime at critical moments. A backup that occurs the next day will be ok if say the router or internet are down.
For offline surveillance video to be useful, you would first need the criminal to break in then start a fire. The chances of that are much slimmer.
Cloud backup for surveillance is absolutely pointless. No one is going through your house, removing every camera and searching for a second NVR/nas. Then burning the place down.
You can buy a cheap NVR for 200 bux. You can record EVERYTHING 24/7 a second time. The point is this, if you want to be paranoid you can go on forever. The chances of your pc dying is far greater than your house being burned down by a crook. What is your contingency for that? What about your poe switch dying? What about your router that sends the feeds to the cloud? See how you can keep going forever. This is why cloud recording is complete nonsense. The ONLY reason why its pushed is RMR. Its actually a lot worse and less reliable than local recording.
You really think someone is going to set your house on fire? Really? please. Hey, what if that person wears a mask and cuts your cable line. Where is your cloud recording going to go. No one is EVER going to steal your BI server. Burglars dont steal desktop PC's. If you are paranoid, lock it down with a pc lock.
You can store your blue iris files in any folder including google drive, etc. Waste of resources and bandwidth.

xdq

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying that I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where the most use my setup will probably ever get is when one of us is working away from home and wants to be present at meal times etc. without the having a video call to distract our son - we found that video calls distract him from eating his dinner or having quiet time before bed. Or laughing with my neighbour about his car rolling into mine when his girlfriend knocked the handbrake off with her huge handbag :|

My take on offsite backup is that I have a gmail account set up specifically for alerts.
If we're both away from home certain cameras, when triggered, send an email with a short video clip.
In the unlikely scenario that a thief were to enter my property and sever the phone line before breaking in this would still give me a potential image of the perp as they approached my front door. That being said, anyone who'd be prepared enough to cut my phone line would probably also have their face covered rendering any recording pretty much useless anyway.