Cloud camera with 2 way audio

Elecmuso

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. New to this forum!
I use a bunch of belkin netcams (which I believe are Hikvision models) to keep an eye on my 87yo mum who has dementia but still lives in her own home. It works really well. But as her illness progresses it gets harder. What I need now is a similar inexpensive web camera that is easy to setup AND has 2 way audio. That way I can communicate with her without her having to pick up the phone.
The audio out needs to be via an audio connector, not just a speaker, as it needs to be amplified to overcome her weak hearing, not to mention she won't always be 2 feet in from of the camera.
Looking for recommendations, looking on EBay it seems there are a lot to choose from including some brand names (sricam ?) that I've not heard of.
Also needs to have night vision infrared. Resolution not that important, pan and tilt nice but not a must have.
Cheers

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Elecmuso

n3wb
Reaction score
Firmware updates - that is interesting. Is there the option to use third party / non-manufacturer firmware (like my gargoyle TPLink modem)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Firmware updates - that is interesting. Is there the option to use third party / non-manufacturer firmware (like my gargoyle TPLink modem)?
No..do not buy a china region cam to save 20 dollars..you will regret it..

Elecmuso

n3wb
Reaction score
No, that's not what I meant. I'm not out to save $20!:)

My router at home has a 3rd party firmware which allows much more than the standard firmware - like limiting downloads, monitoring usage of specific clients etc. It means the cheap router is able to do a lot more than intended.

My experience with the 'cloud' cameras are that you are reliant on the server set up by the manufacturer (or should I say the company that buys from HikVision and re-badges them) to allow you to connect to each one. I thought that might be what Blue Iris does and allows one to use these cameras independently of the 'manufacturers / re-badgers' database? And that maybe a firmware update has to be done to allow that? It's another topic, but maybe I'm completely incorrect in my assumptions.

Meanwhile I just want a camera with the features I need and I'm happy to pay the going rate as long as it is reliable and there is an Android GUI that works. The Belkin one is not great, but good enough.

BTW: The 2 way audio does not have to be perfect as there is always the phone.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You cannot load third party firmware on any ip camera.
The 2mp version will also have slightly better low light and night vision.
This nellys cameras or any hikvision/rebranded camera does not rely on the manufactures servers.
The two way audio works better via the hikvision mobile app than blue iris. (it uses a different protocol)..

Elecmuso

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks.

>>This nellys cameras or any hikvision/rebranded camera does not rely on the manufactures server

Then I can run my Belkin NetCamcameras from the HikVision app rather than the Belkin app?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.

>>This nellys cameras or any hikvision/rebranded camera does not rely on the manufactures server

Then I can run my Belkin NetCamcameras from the HikVision app rather than the Belkin app?
No, the hikvision app will only work with hikvision cameras...
See Tinycam for an app that works with multiple brands...
The belkin cam may be proprietary and not stream onvif or rtsp which is required by third party apps..if it works with blue iris it will work with third party apps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Elecmuso https://www.amazon.com/LaView-LV-PC902F2-W-Detection-Motion-Wireless/dp/B00PKO52B8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471097138&sr=8-1&keywords=laview+panda
That is the same camera sold under the laview brand...it just went on sale again for 89...

Elecmuso

n3wb
Reaction score
@Elecmusohttps://www.amazon.com/LaView-LV-PC902F2-W-Detection-Motion-Wireless/dp/B00PKO52B8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471097138&sr=8-1&keywords=laview+panda
That is the same camera sold under the laview brand...it just went on sale again for 89...
Thanks
That camera certainly would do the job. Only problem is I am in Australia so I'd like to find it as a supported product here.

Does anyone know who sells these here and under what brand name?