cold weather & POE Camera inside garage -10C / 14F

nirv199

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone had any experience using average cameras (not the weather hardened ones) inside garages (protected from snow/rain) but below the operating temperature of -10C?

Winter temperatures do reach -20C ~ -30C.

Running on a budget, and seriously considering a "regular" camera for the garage as it will be protected from most elements.

Any HW recommendation for such application greatly appreciated, especially with wide angle lens.

Thank you

Paulo

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Get the hikvision 3332/2332 turret camera with a 2.8mm wide angle lens..direct from china you can get it for under 100. Ali express or ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hikvision-DS-2CD3332-I-HD-3MP-IP66-IR-Network-Mini-Dome-Camera-POE-2-8-4-6-12mm-/111360100843?pt=US_Security_Cameras&hash=item19ed9449eb
or about 149 in the us LTS http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?257-Good-source-to-buy-Hikvision-items-at
Wrightwood surveillance and nellys security should also stock them..
Just make sure to specify a 2.8mm lens.
The US cameras have a warranty (the lts, is 3 years)...

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nirv199

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman! This Hikvision DS-2CD3332-I HD one is weatherproof - would you use it outside with snow/rain and -30C?
It seems like a very affordable option.
Again thank you!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Hikvision's entire value line is rated down to -30C, regardless of weatherproofing.

Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-I is a very good choice since it has "PIR" a.k.a. Passive Infrared motion detection, which is far less susceptible to false alarms compared to traditional optical motion detection. It also has a microphone, speaker, and an SD card slot. It is available with a 2.8mm (wider angle than default 4mm) lens if you ask for it. It costs about $120 on aliexpress, but this doesn't include any kind of power supply or network cables.

It isn't quite the cheapest cam, however.

$85 is about as low as you can go and still get a good camera.

Pretty much any of the cameras CCTV CAMERA CHINA sells will be a very good value: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/638300

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ran a Dahua rated down to 32F at temps under 10F and never noticed any problem at all.

If your garage is in fact closed off and attached to the house its temperatures will be much higher than outdoors just from heat loss from your home's heated walls. In the winter my garage is at least 10F warmer than outside.

You should think of moving if you live in a - 30 C climate, to be honest, but if that's not an option the hikvision fenderman mentioned is rated down, conveniently, to -22 F, which is exactly - 30 C.

Before you go buying that camera from aliexpress you might as well just order two of them, because once you get it setup you're going to realize how damn awesome it is for what you just paid and want another one anyway.