Comcast (Xfinity) will activate 1 Terabyte data limit plan beginning November 1st

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
having decent internet can help alot of people.
Corporations dont have to subsidize your career, next honda should give students discounts on cars so they can get to school...The federal government should not be in the business of providing internet access so that folks can stream netflix 24/7.....the rest of the great educational info online can be discovered by a slow dsl connection..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Corporations dont have to subsidize your career, next honda should give students discounts on cars so they can get to school...
I suppose then you dont need Electricity, Water, Gas, Roads, Mail or an education then either.. imagine how hard it'd be to compete w/the rest of the world w/out any of those in place.

The internet is not owned by anyone; its an international service.. and the gatekeepers to that should not be a corporate monopoly with the govt bought and paid for.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose then you dont need Electricity, Water, Gas, Roads, Mail or an education then either..

The internet is not owned by anyone; its an international service.. and the gatekeepers to that should not be a corporate monopoly with the govt bought and paid for.
I dont need internet like I need water and gas and electricity...Anyone can get internet access cheap...the issue is limited to folks watching netflix 24/7 or torrenting...i could give a rats ass.
My water gas and electric companies are all private....government involvement in any project destroys it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah and at one point in our history those people in Kansas didnt need telephone, or electricity either until the Govt forced em to provide it.. they dont need it, they have sticks to burn and can make smoke signals.

we as a society are getting pretty close to needing internet like you need gas and electricity; our whole economy is becoming more and more dependent on it.. what would this forum be if not for the internet and everyone having the basic ability to view there cameras anywhere they want... now lets cap that; so you cant do that without paying an extra fees to the only provider your allowed access to.

Last edited by a moderator:

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There's a reason to cap water or electricity usage in a town. Legitimate reasons.

I have yet to find one reason for capping a cable Internet connection other than for [obviously] ancillary profit and possibly a spiteful reaction to everyone throwing away their cable TV boxes.

If anyone says "capacity issues" I'll laugh. People have been shouting that answer on the rooftops lately. "If you need more, then just buy more." You're right, if I need more Internet, I'll buy a faster connection. That should be and is technically sufficient. "You're ruining Internet speeds for the rest of us!" haha if I find a CO that can't handle it in 2016, I'll let you know. That is to say, it's virtually impossible to find a CO that is hitting anywhere near uncomfortable limits.

I am, however, still on the fence regarding cell phone data plans at this point. The infrastructure (base technology in play) is not ready for that much activity. In most places, it's not a problem, but then you have to plan extra buildings in metros because there are too many selfies uploaded at the same time:

Took this photo yesterday while I was on-site. This newest room for Verizon and AT&T (Sprint is another month away from being completed) passes about 5TB of data every 3 hours. Capacity limits still exist at times, but again is based purely on the cellular technology in play. As per the bandwidth capacity, we are barely even scratching the surface. Same back-end that all ISPs use. So in conclusion, no technical reason for randomly instituting cable caps. They just got pissed off or wanted a bit more $.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with corporation wanting to make money. That is of course, their purpose. They owe you nothing.

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't recall saying they owe me anything. Just saying there's no data to support the need for data caps. You're allowed to have an opinion without implying that you're owed something. The two aren't mutually exclusive as you keep suggesting :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't recall saying they owe me anything. Just saying there's no data to support the need for data caps. You're allowed to have an opinion without implying that you're owed something. The two aren't mutually exclusive as you keep suggesting :)
You implied that they needed a reason to justify the limit. They dont.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Took this photo yesterday while I was on-site. This newest room for Verizon and AT&T (Sprint is another month away from being completed) passes about 5TB of data every 3 hours. Capacity limits still exist at times, but again is based purely on the cellular technology in play. As per the bandwidth capacity, we are barely even scratching the surface. Same back-end that all ISPs use. So in conclusion, no technical reason for randomly instituting cable caps. They just got pissed off or wanted a bit more $.
Fellow industry professional - I'm surprised you were allowed to take this photo, and I'm even more surprised you posted it to a public forum. AT&T and Verizon both operate there data centers with some DOD type restrictions and regulations. Some of the nations main switching stations are even designed as a maze to assure you can get lost if you are not authorized - never mind the mult layers of security including body scanners and even weight plates to enter exit certain parts of the center. This appears to be a hub cite and not a main data center/switch however I'd still be amazed if you did not break some type of NDA by taking the picture and especially posting said picture.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im definitely not allowed to publicly post photographs from inside our datacenters, I can take photographs inside a single rack to share w/my team but thats about it.. but our SecOps guys are kinda like the SS; you dont want to hear from em about anything or your going to have a very bad day.. and I think they have spies everywhere.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They owe you nothing.
There's a big ugly Comcast utility box on the edge my property that I can just rip out then? the dozens houses it serves via underground cabling passing through my yard.. I dont owe them nothing.. I am the property owner.. where's my leasing agreement to let them put that there then? If the markets are to decide then they can come make a contract with every owner these lines cross for a fair market price; and hope that just one of them dont refuse or its all off.

yeah they are a business that uses government to get imminent domain; but there just a corporation.. with a government provided and funded monopoly.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There's a big ugly Comcast utility box on the edge my property that I can just rip out then? the dozens houses it serves via underground cabling passing through my yard.. I dont owe them nothing.. I am the property owner.. where's my leasing agreement to let them put that there then? If the markets are to decide then they can come make a contract with every owner these lines cross for a fair market price; and hope that just one of them dont refuse or its all off.

yeah they are a business that uses government to get imminent domain; but there just a corporation.. with a government provided and funded monopoly.
They dont owe you anything. If they got approval for those lines and box. If you dont like your local zoning and ordinance lawd change them...they never promised specific pricing or unlimited bandwidth...they are a business not a charity...

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lucky me, i live in a very small country and we have about the largest internet exchange of Europe.
In the more populated areas there is fiber to the home, and you get up to 1gigabit connections.
prices are a bit high, i pay like 55€ for a 500/500 subscription. But we have no data limit, they only define fair use policy. My all time record was like 14TB in 5 days, never heared anything..

you can fiew this internet excange statistics online: https://ams-ix.net/technical/statistics

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
are those older ones doing MJPEG? If so upgrade em to a h264 and pull substream, you'll cut the bandwidth down dramatically and gain a bit of resolution.

I burn through a TB every few days, but I'm on a business plan thats unlimited.
I am going to change my plan to business,,,,but the cost more than double for Comcast.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Overall I been much happier w/comcast since switching to business.. they dont put you on the overcrowded residental channels so the afternoon slow downs dont happen, I get promiced speeds all the time.. also stability seems better, the only thing that takes me down now is a larger outage that impacts the entire area..

they call me and warn me of planned outages in advance, the support people are so much easier to work with, and the techs are much less hassle.. I told a tech that came out, your not leaving here until you run a new service line from your termination box all the way into my server room and give me a new modem.. he noded his head and said, 'sure boss'.. before doing everything I asked without charging me anything extra, and its been as solid as a rock since.

There billing/sales guys are still idiots tho.. no relief from them.. and I wish to fuck I could retain my /28 subnet while owning my router, nonsence they force me to rent.

And this article from today is appropriate to my earlier rant: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/10/comcast-sues-nashville-to-halt-rules-that-help-google-fiber/ ; The city owns the poles, yet comcast is doing there best to prevent others from using public property they parked on first.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Overall I been much happier w/comcast since switching to business.. they dont put you on the overcrowded residental channels so the afternoon slow downs dont happen, I get promiced speeds all the time.. also stability seems better, the only thing that takes me down now is a larger outage that impacts the entire area..

they call me and warn me of planned outages in advance, the support people are so much easier to work with, and the techs are much less hassle.. I told a tech that came out, your not leaving here until you run a new service line from your termination box all the way into my server room and give me a new modem.. he noded his head and said, 'sure boss'.. before doing everything I asked without charging me anything extra, and its been as solid as a rock since.

There billing/sales guys are still idiots tho.. no relief from them.. and I wish to fuck I could retain my /28 subnet while owning my router, nonsence they force me to rent.

And this article from today is appropriate to my earlier rant: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/10/comcast-sues-nashville-to-halt-rules-that-help-google-fiber/ ; The city owns the poles, yet comcast is doing there best to prevent others from using public property they parked on first.
I see Google Fiber is shutting down in something like 10 markets now? Unreal.

Nayr if u don't mind me asking, how much more a month is the Business over the regular residential?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Our water, elecrticity most everything government run, we have cheap power and controlled increases. I have unlimited internet and no caps plus legal government weed this spring. I live in a free country and lovin it ! of course my taxes kind of suck but, our medical free as well so its a balance.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I already over my limite with comcast. 1TB. i pay 59$ 200down 10up. if i go umlimted for extra 50$ a month. switch to business for the same speed is 250$.