Compare MP on cameras

NatJev

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
this is my first post here! I currently have foscam cameras setup with Blue Iris but am now looking for some dome type cameras for inside and decided to look at the Hikvision.
I was looking at the 5MP but then saw a thread here saying they are bad at night time.
just wondering what i should possibly look for? 2MP 3MP or 4MP?
thanks in advance
Nat

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,
this is my first post here! I currently have foscam cameras setup with Blue Iris but am now looking for some dome type cameras for inside and decided to look at the Hikvision.
I was looking at the 5MP but then saw a thread here saying they are bad at night time.
just wondering what i should possibly look for? 2MP 3MP or 4MP?
thanks in advance
Nat
DONT GET DOMES....
if you want good night vision look at the dahua starlight turret cam..
see the thread in the dahua section

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^^ What he said, here is the review thread for the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

More Megapixels does not mean more quality, this 2MP Camera kicks the shit out of every 3MP, 4MP, 5MP, 6MP, 8MP and 12MP camera you can afford; night or day.

It all comes down to how well the sensor and optics can capture photons.. typically very few UHD sensors come anywhere near the performance of a good 2MP Sensor.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
2MP 3MP or 4MP ?
The less Pixels you have the better picture you'll get in low light situation (if same CMOS sensor's surface size of course) and you also have different CMOS sensitivity depending the constructor.

Also depending how you want to record activity (24/24 or motion alert only) less pixels mean smaller videos files, smaller bandwidth and if you use WiFi only you should get better streaming experience.

But other question is also which view angle do you need ? you'll have to wonder if you prefer 2.8mm 3.6mm or any other angle.

Just think that the wider the angle is, the less details you'll see as it make the view as if you "step back" so you may have to take some measure from the place you'll put the camera and measure how wide you want the view and its distance from the camera to calculate the view angle and transform it into XXmm value (if the camera tech details do not show this information).

Last edited:

NatJev

n3wb
Reaction score
awesome! thanks so much for the reply's! i'll let you know what i choose.. and its NOT going to be a DOME! And it will be max 2MP! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
awesome! thanks so much for the reply's! i'll let you know what i choose.. and its NOT going to be a DOME! And it will be max 2MP! :)
you need to understand that even at 2mp, there is a HUGE variation in nighttime image quality...the starlight cameras will be much better..

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are looking at Foscam with Blue Iris, this generally indicates a desire to spend a modest amount. To that end, that typically means using integrated IR cameras to compensate for modest to poor low light capabilities.

There are some very good non-IR 1/2" 1080p cameras that can provide color details even in near pitch black conditions. Those, even from Hikvision, are in the $500 - $1,000+ range.

The best non-IR color low light camera we (IPVM) have tested is the Sony 35mm 4K camera but that's ~$5,000 so it's not practical for most applications.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are looking at Foscam with Blue Iris, this generally indicates a desire to spend a modest amount. To that end, that typically means using integrated IR cameras to compensate for modest to poor low light capabilities.

There are some very good non-IR 1/2" 1080p cameras that can provide color details even in near pitch black conditions. Those, even from Hikvision, are in the $500 - $1,000+ range.

The best non-IR color low light camera we (IPVM) have tested is the Sony 35mm 4K camera but that's ~$5,000 so it's not practical for most applications.
John, the OP is looking to upgrade from foscam to something better...The hikvision 3-4mp cameras need additional lighting for a good night vision even with integrated IR....see this thread on the dahua starlight turret available for 170 (aliexpress only)..motorized varifocal, sd card, mic..and truly exceptional low light capability for the price point.

NatJev

n3wb
Reaction score
The IPC-HDW5231R-Z looks fantastic! But its out of my price range :-(
i would want to spend $150 - $200 per camera because i need around 5 cameras

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got that camera for $170 w/3-Day Shipping from China.. IPCT Members can get em for even less now.