computer connected to switch or router

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I currently have 7 cameras all with homeruns to my POE switch. The switch is then connected to the router, and my computer running Blue Iris is also connected to the router.

A recent post indicated better performance could be achieved by connecting the computer directly to the switch (instead of the router) and then connecting the switch to the router.

I can't see how this would make any difference but I'd be interested in hearing opinions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have 7 cameras all with homeruns to my POE switch. The switch is then connected to the router, and my computer running Blue Iris is also connected to the router.

A recent post indicated better performance could be achieved by connecting the computer directly to the switch (instead of the router) and then connecting the switch to the router.

I can't see how this would make any difference but I'd be interested in hearing opinions.
It is because some routers choke on that data....when connecting the PC to the switch no data passes through the router..

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see.........everything appears to run fine on my current configuration, any reason to change??