COMPUTER for BI

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this has been beat to dead and I know what computer BI likes. My question is where to buy one, NEW A MUST. Dell my favorite place won't let me build one to my liking always adds and expensive video card etc. I can't build one myself. Is they a company that will build what you want? Budget $1600.00, US.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know this has been beat to dead and I know what computer BI likes. My question is where to buy one, NEW A MUST. Dell my favorite place won't let me build one to my liking always adds and expensive video card etc. I can't build one myself. Is they a company that will build what you want? Budget $1600.00, US.
1600 dollars for a computer? what are you smoking...there are a million posts discussing pc's...300-500...you DONT want a video card with blue iris...intel HD is needed...

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ya, I know what you mean but thats what I must spend + or -. Use or loose so to speak. Long story. So it's either a Dell with uncessary stuff or another solution. Also only one computer.

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can talk with Dell directly and say what you want. They will help you. Especially with your budget :wow: Here in Germany this works very well. On the homepage of Dell you can not find all
desired configurations.

dell.JPG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya, I know what you mean but thats what I must spend + or -. Use or loose so to speak. Long story. So it's either a Dell with uncessary stuff or another solution. Also only one computer.
Use the extra money for an Enterprise vms.. paying 1600 for a computer is criminal

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ewc1111 thanks I tried that but they don't allow any builds except for the high end gaming computers then $1600 is peanuts when to comes to building one of those. With them it very difficult to communicate as ever phone call is directed to India. Between the phone lines and their accents it's very difficult to communicate with them.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First of all, get away from the Inspirions and XPS models which are consumer/gaming and loaded. Go into "Desktops for work" and look at the OptiPlex. 3000 series don't have i7, so limit to 5000 and 7000 series. While 19 will be offered in the 5000 series, the dropdown menu to limit processor to i7 will drop the pre-configured to 3. They are basic - i7, 8GB Ram, various 500GB or 1TB HD or 256GB SSD options, and integrated graphics. That is all you need for BI. Still overpriced but range from $889 to $969 assuming you don't have corporate or other discounts. No monitor, but virtually everything is quoted without a monitor. Here is the link OptiPlex 5050 Desktop - Small Form Factor PC | Dell United States

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd hit the yellow pages and look for a local source to custom build something then. The ripoff rate is high though, you will pay more and get less but if you require support that will be your best option.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks all I went with the Dell it was the easiest route.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great. One thing I should have mentioned and may want to call and make sure can accomodate. There are 2 almost mandatory add-ons that neither Dell nor anyone else would include or even have available for a build. You want to make sure you can add them aftermarket.
1) a WD Purple (or Seagate Surveillance) hard drive for the video data separate from your drive with the OS/programs. Make sure there is a second SATA port on the motherboard available for hooking up the drive and that the case will physically support 2 hard drives. (micro case - eliminate; small form factor - varies, either OK as designed or be creative, move one drive to unused DVD area; medium/tower - OK)
2) a second NIC. Cards are cheap and typically low profile so will fit in most cases (excluding very compact micro - which also wouldn't have room for a 2nd drive) so need to make sure there is an available PCI Express slot for the card.

The only reason I mention this is that 1) marketing material isn't that specific, and 2) cost cutting has shifted away from 'off the shelf' motherboards to custom spec'd motherboards that support the intended build and eliminate other features to save cost which adversely limits expansion. Historically, Dell has used Asus boards but had a shock when purchased an HP from Costco several years ago (and returned it). A no-name board with zero expansion capability despite despite being in a mid-size case. While I haven't looked at Dells, reviewing their downloadable manuals showing board schematics and case accommodation for 2nd hard drives, it could be an issue...so ask the Dell rep.

Last edited:

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I known it doesn't come with the purple HD but does have room for added expansion and slots for added cards. The computer is a Dell Aurora i7-7700k with 32gbs memory and one 2 terabyte drive. I know nothing about computers this is the only one that you could add additional components to and I was tired of shopping for one. Also it's not going to be a deticated machine just to BI. I know it should be but we'll see what happens.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks I'm sure I'll have lots. Cameras, computer, Poe switch, wire all ordered awaiting arrival.

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well there's a balance between wasting time and money. They are both about the same

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are very correct but I have plenty of both.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are very correct but I have plenty of both.
I dont understand the theory of wasting other peoples money, even if you dont gain anything by saving the money..makes no sense to me..you just jacked your employer out of 1000+...

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can see your point of view but since I'm the employer and it's my money I don't think there will be a problem. I was originally just looking for advise about a computer and though I made myself clear about what I HAD to spend. Apparently not. But that's ok not really important to me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see your point of view but since I'm the employer and it's my money I don't think there will be a problem. I was originally just looking for advise about a computer and though I made myself clear about what I HAD to spend. Apparently not. But that's ok not really important to me.
If you are the employer then you dont HAVE to spend anything...it makes less sense now...

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are the employer then you dont HAVE to spend anything...it makes less sense now...
As a business person, it supports tax management as it becomes a legitimate business expense as the equipment is either deducted 100% in the tax year or depreciated over time. It is not an issue of "HAVE" to but what does competent tax management support offsetting taxable profits.

That is one of the things I like about being a professional photographer and owning the business. So many deductions that the general public are not able to use (or were deleted over the years). Hadn't really planned on deducting mine as part of the home office, but it does protect a significant inventory. I can of course deduct the obvious - cameras/lens, computers/software, mileage (or depreciate autos), tolls, utilities etc, none of which the non-business can do.

Stanley71 - While you never indicated where you were from, and this forum is international, I am assuming the USA - thus the tax discussion should be viewed in that context.