Computer freezes running Win. 7 32 and 64 bit after a few minutes using BI 3 software

Bernie B.

n3wb
Reaction score
Running BI 3 and it is the last updated version. For some reason the software after being activated will only work for less than 30 minutes and then it freezes the computer. Using the BI android app it will work on my Samsung 5 at first away from my home wi-fi but then after a few minutes it says that it cannot connect with the server. When I return home my computer is frozen and I have to restart with reset button. This has been doing this for a while and it started after a software update which I have no idea of which one, as they seemed to come every other day a few months ago.. Have conversed with Ken by email and he says that it must be something wrong with my computer. I have not had any problem with any other software, only the BI software 3.66.00 which was the last update of the BI 3.0 series, and after getting the original setup to work it worked great but went south after a month of updates. Does anyone have any suggestions why this software freezes my desktop? This has been going on for months. There are so many settings in this software that maybe one setting might be causing this problem. I have noticed after I reboot the locked condition my sound icon has the proverbial red slash through the icon. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bernie B.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Computer freezes running Win. 7 32 and 64 bit after a few minutes using BI 3 soft

Welcome to the forum...the first thing i would do is reinstall blue iris...this will solve most problems...you can download the 3.66 full install from the blue iris update page.
What is your cpu consumption when blue iris is running?

Bernie B.

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Computer freezes running Win. 7 32 and 64 bit after a few minutes using BI 3 soft

Have four Foscam cameras and with all running 9 to 10 % CPU used. Could this problem be caused by this Windows 7 with 32 and 64 bit conflict? Will this reinstall save all the setup tabs? Thanks for the quick reply.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

BI3 is only 32bit but will run fine on win7-64...seems like you are running windows 7 32 so it doesnt matter..The problem with freezes it that its hard to tell whats causing them..it may have started after a windows update that was done at the same time as a BI update..are you running any other software on the pc other than blue iris?
You can export/backup your settings in the blue iris options >about tab

Bernie B.

n3wb
Reaction score

fenderman---- reinstalled BI 3.66.00 like you suggested. Install went good up to a point. Got all cameras working, but on the 2nd tab of the options setup the computer froze. Rebooted and completed the setup. This problem seems like the freeze-up occurs right at 30 minutes after BI is turned on. I think maybe that WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) and Service Control Manager may have something to do with this, as they show errors in the Administrative Tool Section/Events Viewer/Errors. Very long list of Service Control Manager and WMI errors just about the time I was reinstalling BI 3.66.00. Ran WMIDIAG-V2.1_ for Windows 7. I now have 10 printed pages of possible ways to repair the WMI, which all are very confusing. Went on some Microsoft forums and a number of people are having the same problem with WMI, and their techs were trying to figure out what to do about this problem. A bunch of wild entries in the registry, and arguments among themselves about what will work and what will not. One tech had a simple answer, and that was to install Windows 8.0, as it has a completely new WMI setup. It seems like they would have a way to fix this in Windows 7 instead of rushing off into Win. 8 and 8.1. Do you know anything about a repair to the WMI and a repair to the Service Control Manager? After all of this I am not really sure if this has anything to do with BI freezing the computer. I left BI off for about 4 weeks and had no freezes. Each time I turn it on in about 30 minutes it freezes up. I can make contact through the BI Android App on my Samsung 5 Smart phone without a problem for the first 30 minutes, but after that the can't make contact with the server shows on my phone and when returning home the desktop is locked up. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. This has turned into a nightmare. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

@ Bernie B. This is strange...never seen this happen...I would do a clean install of windows 7...

Bernie B.

n3wb
Reaction score

Fenderman----Bernie B. here! Still having problems with Blue Iris when running still after a few minutes it freezes my computer and I have to reboot with the reset button. When I turn Blue Iris on my desktop starts out great. Works fine for a few minutes and then still freezes. I thought it might have something to do with the app on my Samsung 5 Smart Phone, but with the phone off and as sit here and watch it all of a sudden freezes, so I do not think it has anything to do with the app. I have a strange feeling it has to do with Windows 7 Pro firewall. You suggested that I reinstall Windows, but the computer never freezes until BI 3.66 is turned on, so I am not going to reinstall Windows. I copied four screen shots of the Windows Firewall list and I tried earlier on this site to send them as attachments ( 4 jpeg's) but they would not install into the reply by holding down the control button to place them with the writing as a attachment. Not sure why it will not let the 4 attachments join my writings. I wanted you to look at all of the listed in the firewall to see if you can pick out anything not set properly that would be causing the freeze. I you have a suggestion on how to get these attachments to you to view let me know. Thanks, Bernie B.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Fenderman----Bernie B. here! Still having problems with Blue Iris when running still after a few minutes it freezes my computer and I have to reboot with the reset button. When I turn Blue Iris on my desktop starts out great. Works fine for a few minutes and then still freezes. I thought it might have something to do with the app on my Samsung 5 Smart Phone, but with the phone off and as sit here and watch it all of a sudden freezes, so I do not think it has anything to do with the app. I have a strange feeling it has to do with Windows 7 Pro firewall. You suggested that I reinstall Windows, but the computer never freezes until BI 3.66 is turned on, so I am not going to reinstall Windows. I copied four screen shots of the Windows Firewall list and I tried earlier on this site to send them as attachments ( 4 jpeg's) but they would not install into the reply by holding down the control button to place them with the writing as a attachment. Not sure why it will not let the 4 attachments join my writings. I wanted you to look at all of the listed in the firewall to see if you can pick out anything not set properly that would be causing the freeze. I you have a suggestion on how to get these attachments to you to view let me know. Thanks, Bernie B.
Bernie, i doubt that its the firewall - because that should not cause a freeze ...but you never know..are you using any antivirus software that may be causing this?
Have you applied all the windows updates and patches?
You can attach the images by clicking on "go advanced" at the bottom left and then either use the attachment (paper clip) or insert images which is beneath it..

Bernie B.

n3wb
Reaction score

Fenderman---Windows is up to date, use AVG free. Removed AVG and tried Microsoft Security and still had the problem. Above is a copy (4 pages of Windows Firewall setup) Thanks for your reply!

Bernie B.

Attachments