Computer locks up, but only after about an hour and only when running Blue Iris

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
:mad: Well, all was not well.
Computer froze again. As always, I left it sit for an hour or so, got back to it and had o frozen mouse.
As always, the whole machine was unresponsive and needed rebooting.
This time however it occurred to me that maybe the problem is either the wireless mouse or the USB dongle, or the on-board USB circuit.
I went to Walmart and bought a wired mouse. I had to go to two stores and lucked out my buying the very last one Walmart had.

Guess what?:rolleyes::facepalm: It has been fine ever since.:)

Pass it on! I'm sure this could be just thing to check for many others with a computer freeze problem.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Your power consumption is high due to the GTX980. It's a power hog and probably uses around 100 watts idling along. If you're using it for anything else, like hardware video acceleration or bit coin mining, it'll be using even more.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your power consumption is high due to the GTX980. It's a power hog and probably uses around 100 watts idling along. If you're using it for anything else, like hardware video acceleration or bit coin mining, it'll be using even more.
No, just like superior graphics and 4k resolution.
I'm an old geezer!
I either need an eye transplant or my 65" 4k resolution monitor.
Do you know of any similar graphics card that does not use that much power?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The GTX1060 uses about half he power, under load. If you need the 980 for that monitor, then bite the bullet with the power. I don't think the cost of a 1060 is worth the relatively low power savings. You could try something more modern in the 10XX series, but I still don't think it would result in a significant saving. The 20XX series, even more "modern" is also pretty power hungry but does have a big advantage in terms of video processing...if you're into 3D games and such.